I spend a lot of time on instagram, browing various keto-related hashtags, and when I saw a post the other day from The Wholesome Holistic, I just had to try the recipe. After this weekend’s carb-up (where honestly, I didn’t feel that great after), I decided to try and be really conscious of what I’m eating over the next few days, and keep the fat high and the carbs low with some keto vegan fat bombs. I know, kind of the point of this keto thing…
Anyway, I looked at the ingredients for the original recipe and realized that 1) I did not have many of them, and 2) I am allergic to some of them. I’m pretty used to this altering recipes for these reasons, although the fact that this was already a vegan fat bomb was pretty exciting. I ended up making enough alterations that it’s an entirely new recipe, so I thought I’d post it here for your enjoyment.
If you want to check out the original (which I highly recommend), the actual recipe is here. For my nut free, modified version, just keep scrolling!
Notes on Making Blueberry Lavender Vegan Fat Bombs:
- I used actual lavender for this instead of essential oils like the original recipe called for, but this warning applies to both: Be careful adding lavender in! Too much, and it tastes like soap. If you want a stronger flavor, I recommend increasing the amount of dried lavender by just a pinch, or one drop if you’re using essential oils. Then blend, test and see if it needs more.
- Instead of vanilla extract, you could use lemon extract and these would be brighter and more summery.
- Beet powder is unnecessary, but lovely for color and anthocyanins!
- Be careful using frozen fruit, as it will basically seize up your blender when added to the coconut oil. Either use fresh berries, or thawed frozen ones!
- The hemp seeds here can be substituted for almond flour, or any other ground nut/seed.
These sugar free, nut free blueberry lavender vegan fat bombs are just the thing to spice up your keto or low carb vegan routine!
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds (also called hemp hearts)
- 1 tsp beetroot powder (or any vaguely fruity tasting superfood powder)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 tsp culinary lavender
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10-15 drops liquid stevia
- pinch of salt
- In a blender, combine everything EXCEPT the blueberries. Blend until nice and creamy and smooth. This will take about a minute, so the hemp seeds are completely blended.
- Add in the blueberries, and pulse until they are chopped, but not totally blended.
- Pour into 10 equal portions (I used a silicon muffin pan, but you could also use a silicon ice cube tray).
- Freeze until solid.