Any season is the right season for pumpkin spice cake, especially a vegan keto pumpkin spice cake that is so easy, and so delicious. I think the hardest part of making this sugar-free treat was waiting for it to be cool enough to frost. This recipe just begs to be enjoyed with a nice cup of coffee or even some hot chocolate.
This is a patty-cake, so it’s meant to be scooped out of the pan. This thing is seriously delicious, too. The cake itself is only a few ingredients and takes almost no effort to whip together. It’s light and fluffy with a super delicate, muffin-like crumb. The pumpkin and cinnamon add enough sweetness that no sweetener was necessary at all. And to top it all off, the cake itself is paleo, vegan, grain free, gluten free, sugar-free, low carb, nut-free, and keto friendly. Yeah, that’s a lot of qualifiers. :p
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- I almost always use the Trader Joe’s brand of vegan cream cheese, but most should work the same way.
- If you’d prefer not to use the vegan cream cheese at all, that’s totally fine. You can just replace it with 2 tablespoons of softened coconut manna and a teaspoon of lemon juice and it’ll have the same tang and relative consistency.
- While you can buy coconut cream, it’s super easy to make your own – just leave a can of coconut milk in the fridge for 4-8 hours and the cream will rise to the top and solidify nicely. Then scoop it out to use.
- If you eat eggs, you can replace the flax egg in the recipe and bake this for about 25-30 minutes instead of 40-45 minutes.
- For those with coconut allergies, you can replace the coconut manna with peanut butter or almond butter and make the frosting with 1/4 cup of dairy-free cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of nondairy milk. It takes a little more mixing, but does come together eventually!
- If you want this cake to firm up faster, I stuck mine in the freezer for about 30 minutes and that did the trick.
- Keep in mind that sugar alcohols don’t count against net carbs, so when you track this, just be sure to subtract them!
This nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free and keto breakfast treat is delicious, warming and easy to throw together. It's best served straight from the pan, patty-cake style.
- 1/2 cup (128g) coconut manna or nut butter of choice
- 1/2 (120g) cup pumpkin puree
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice (or cinnamon)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (60g) coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops liquid stevia (or to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Line a loaf tin (9"x5"/23x13cm) with parchment paper.
- Mix together pumpkin, coconut manna/nut butter and spices in a bowl until completely combine.
- Add in flax egg, and thoroughly mix.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until completely cooked all the way through (you may want to stick a knife in the center to see if it comes out clean).
- Remove cake from oven and let cool.
- While the cake is cooling, blend together vanilla, stevia, cream cheese and coconut cream until completely combined.
- Once cake has cooled, spread frosting on top and serve from the pan.