I love me a good cookie as much as the next girl, but a low carb high fat (often keto) diet means I have to make my own. So, when I was really craving more fall flavor this morning, I got to work baking up these little beauties. Low carb apple cookies were definitely a solid decision. They’ve got all the flavor of apple pie, but condensed into a low carb cookie. Yum!
These low carb apple spice cookies also happen to be paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, soy free, LCHF, keto cookies. Yeah, that’s a lot… These really tick off a lot of boxes in the “special diets” category.
Anyway, these were fabulous with coffee this morning, and tea this afternoon. I imagine they’d also be fantastic with a nice cup of coconut milk. Whatever your poison!
Recipe notes for Low Carb Apple Spice Cookies:
- Yes, I used real apples for this recipe instead of finding some extract to mimic the flavor of fruit. Trust me, it’s worth it here – the added carbs are minimal and the flavor is so much better – not to mention that using actual apples adds nutrition instead of a weird chemical taste. :p
- You could definitely use walnuts instead of pecans in these, likely with similar results.
- You could potentially substitute the apple for real apple, but might have to cook them a bit longer to account for the extra liquid – it would be an interesting experiment, though, and might be a way to make these vegan if you wanted to sub out the egg for an apple.
- Apple cinnamon is one of the best flavors out there, and I’m obsessed with making low carb apple treats, so please forgive me for how many more I’m likely to post this season. <3
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of pecans, ground into flour
- 1/4 cup coconut manna/butter
- 1/4 cup freeze dried apples
- 2 tsp five spice blend (or 1.5 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops of liquid stevia
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or use a silicon baking mat. Either way is fine!
- Put the cup of pecans in a food processor/blender and grind until fine.
- In a mixing bowl, add egg, coconut butter, vanilla, stevia and spices. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in ground pecans and crumble in freeze dried apples. Mix until the apple bits are evenly distributed.
- Scoop onto cookie tray, and flatten to about 1/2 inch thickness. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the top is completely cooked.