I think cookies are really the ultimate Christmas food, so for the past week, I’ve been thinking of all the low carb Christmas cookies I want to bake this year! The other day, I made low carb gingerbread cookies, and last night, I pulled out my little Linzer cookie cutters – and low carb vegan Linzer cookies were born!
Linzer cookies are a redux of Linzertorte – a traditional Austrian torte named for the city of Linz. This torte is typically made with crust of nuts and flour, and filled with raspberries. I know. Sounds like heaven.
Linzer cookies are a tiny take on this treat, and again, traditionally use a nut flour for the two “crust” cookies, and are filled with a tart raspberry jam. To echo the classic lattice crust, the top cookie has a little cutout – usually in a round or heart shape – through which you can see the jam. These low carb vegan linzer cookies take a small departure from the traditional recipe in that I don’t actually use nuts, because I am allergic to some nuts and realize that others are too!
Baking notes for Low Carb Vegan Linzer Cookies:
- I know, that seems crazy since nuts are actually pretty low carb, but I’ve been trying to limit my nut consumption to whole, unprocessed nuts (or nut butters!), because it’s easier to register how much I’m eating. Cookies made with nuts tend not to register as food, and can easily be over-consumed!
- Another issue with baking nuts is that their delicate poly unsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) oxidize easily, and oxidized fats are no bueno, so… moderation! I try to reserve nuts for where they’re needed in a recipe.
- Yes, this recipe calls for jam – I used about a tsp of low carb (homemade – basically, follow the cranberry sauce directions, but use raspberries instead of cranberries). You can also find low carb jams and jellies in pretty much every grocery store. Nutrition facts are based on the store-bought one.
- I used these cookie cutters, but you could use pretty much anything, as long as you cut a window in the top cookie.
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 ounces (6 tbsp) softened vegan buttery spread (Like Earth Balance)
- 1 ounce (2 tbsp) softened vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Swerve or other granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp almond or hazelnut extract
- 1/4 cup (ish) of sugar free raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, Swerve and flavoring.
- Stir in coconut flour until completely incorporated. You'll have to knead it for the last little bit.
- Roll the dough out to be about 5mm thick. I know, I switched to metric there, but it really is the best descriptor - way better than, "a little more than 1/8th of an inch."
- Use your cookie cutter to cut out 10 bottom pieces and then 10 top pieces (with the little hole).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges just start to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least a half hour! This will give them a chance to set up. If you try to pick them up too early, they will crumble.
- Spread about a tsp of sugar free jam on a bottom piece, top with the little top pieces.
- Adorable! Admire how cute your cookies are, and then eat them.