Cinnamon might be my favorite dessert flavor. Truly, I could eat this stuff morning, noon and night without complaint. Aside from the taste, cinnamon is also excellent for supporting your cardiovascular system and controlling blood sugar. So yeah, it’s pretty great.
Lately, I’ve also been seeking out alternate ways to get in enough protein that don’t involve just eggs or cheese. Eggs and cheese get boring, especially in a low carb or ketogenic diet!
In light of these bits of info, I wanted to update my other low carb snickerdoodle recipe to have a little more protein content – and to be a little more cost effective. Macadamia nuts are a bit spendy. So, I’m using cashew butter here. Try not to freak out. Yes, it’s a little higher in carbs, but totally worth it if you’re able to eat a little on the higher side of the low-carb spectrum.
- 2/3 cup cashew butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup mayo (trust me here)
- 1 cup (~90g) vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- optional: if you like things on the sweeter side, add a few drops of liquid stevia
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat (I am obsessed with mine and use them for everything).
- Mix together cashew butter, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and mayo until thoroughly combined. Seriously, trust me on the mayo - you won't notice the taste and it will make everything that much better.
- Add in whey protein powder, and stir until a dough forms.
- Form into patties and place on baking tray.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes. Watch them like a hawk in the last minute. Open the oven and (carefully!) check the "doneness" of the top.
- As soon as they are cooked completely, yank 'em from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack or plate, so they don't continue to cook. This is essential for keeping them soft!