I’m always looking for low carb vegan breakfast options (and lunch and dinner options as well, truthfully). While the convenience of low carb meat alternatives can be appealing, sometimes you want something simple and nourishing. That’s where these vegan low carb avocado breakfast bowls come in. They’re incredibly easy to make, and so tasty! They’re also loaded with whole fats, to keep your coat nice and shiny. 😉
Another benefit to these little treats is that they’re a nice way to get some more veggies in your day that doesn’t involve a giant bowl of lettuce. Not that I have anything against salad, but sometimes a girl gets sick of eating lettuce, just so. This whole meal has fewer than 6g of net carbs, making them pretty keto friendly, especially for someone following a vegan keto diet.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Breakfast Bowls:
- This can be made portable by putting the carrot mixture in a travel container, and packing it along with a whole avocado. Just slice open the avocado, remove the pit, and top with salad when you get to school/work/the dog park/what have you.
- The dressing recipe is adapted from Laura Miller’s Raw. Vegan. Not Gross. cookbook, which is my current obsession. Some of the recipes can be made keto-friendly, and all look so good!
- Instead of topping these with tahini, you could use whole sesame seeds, or even sunflower seeds. The seeds will bring a nice crunch to this.
- The dressing made for this recipe can obviously be used again for other things. You’ll likely end up making more of it than is necessary for this one dish.
- This little salad tastes even better after sitting in a fridge for a while (the carrot part – not the avocado), so you could make a bunch of it ahead of time, and serve it up in an avocado.
- Whoo! This recipe is also paleo! It’s actually AIP compliant, if you leave the poppy seeds out of the dressing and top with coconut flakes instead of seeds or tahini.
- You can also slice the avocado, and eat this whole mess over arugula for a tasty salad.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger (or powdered)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium Hass avocado
- 1 small carrot, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp of tahini
- Put dressing ingredients in a tightly sealing jar, and shake aggressively. This will make enough dressing for 4 servings of this salad.
- In a separate dish, combine 2 tbsp of the dressing with the grated carrot.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Spoon the dressed carrots into the avocado halves.
- Drizzle tahini over the avocado and carrots.
- Enjoy this, and thank me later. 😉