There’s just something about fall that makes me want heartier recipes, full of winter squashes, and nuts and warming spices. These low carb vegan pumpkin stuffed mushrooms certainly tick off all those check boxes, and more.
I also love these because they’re pretty high in protein, contain a whole ton of B vitamins and vitamin A, and contain some nice omega-3 fatty acids. They’re also another soy-free recipe, which is nice to find as a vegan ketoer. I hope you guys enjoy these as much as I do! They’re definitely going to make an appearance on my Thanksgiving table this year.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Pumpkin Stuffed Mushrooms
- If you don’t like walnuts, you can use chopped pecans, hazelnuts or pumpkin seeds in their place. All will yield an equally autumnal dish.
- If you can’t find canned pumpkin, canned butternut squash will work just as well. You can also use roasted spaghetti squash.
- I used powdered onion and garlic here for two reasons: less liquid and fewer carbs. You can definitely use fresh onion and garlic if you prefer, though!
- Feel free to sub out the paprika with sage. Sage is so delicious and adds a real fall flair to things, but it isn’t as easy to track down (in my experience) as paprika is, so that’s what I decided to go with!
- The mushroom caps I used were about 4-5″ in diameter, and weighed about 75g each. They come in 6-packs where I am, which is what this recipe is based on.
- Mine were done after just 30 minutes in the oven, but depending on the size of your mushrooms, your mileage may vary.
- The nutritional yeast is not integral to the flavor of this dish, but definitely adds a nice depth (and loads of B vitamins!). If you don’t have any on hand, don’t fret – you can do this without it.
- Keep in mind that the mushroom caps will shrink in the oven! Be sure not to overstuff them, or they may just fall apart.
These low carb vegan pumpkin stuffed mushrooms are a delicious fall entree that is high in fiber, B vitamins, vitamin A, omega-3 fatty acids and other powerful phyto-chemicals. These vegan keto friendly stuffed mushrooms are also gluten free, a good source of protein, and low in saturated fat.
- 6 portabella mushroom caps (about 4-5" in diameter)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep mushrooms by removing stems and gills, and removing any dirt or debris. Put the stems to the side.
- Finely chop up the stems of the mushrooms, and one of the cleaned caps.
- Mix together spices, salt, flax seed and nutritional yeast. Stir pumpkin into the spice mixture in a medium sized bowl, and mix until thoroughly combined. Add in walnuts and the finely chopped mushrooms and mix until uniform.
- Divide up filling and portion out into the remaining five mushroom caps.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the caps have shrunk in size and everything is tender.
- Let cool and enjoy!