Aside from mustard, which is already (for the most part) low carb and vegan, I care about no condiment more than ranch dressing. From pizza, to veggies, there is no food that isn’t made more delicious when covered in this magic. Now, there are actually low carb vegan ranch dressings on the market that are pretty tasty, but they all usually contain some suspicious ingredients, and honestly, what tastes better than homemade?
I’d also like to point out that this dressing has zero net carbs, 2.5g of protein per serving and some omega-3 fatty acids. What more could you want from something so delicious? So, grab some fresh herbs and a blender and let’s get going on this dairy free, keto ranch dressing wonder!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Ranch Dresssing (dairy free, soy-free, keto):
- The “soy-free” aspect of this recipe depends entirely on whatever vegan mayo substitute you end up using. I like to use Just Mayo, since it’s remarkably tasty, and contains the least objectionable ingredients of anything else I’ve found. You can buy this at Whole Foods, Target and probably a bunch of other stores.
- I used fresh dill and parsley for this, and I really think this is what makes all the difference. These herbs are just so tasty when fresh!
- You’ll note that I ended up using powdered garlic and onion, despite the fresh herbs. This is basically for control of the flavor and texture (and laziness).
- The key to getting the right texture here is letting this dressing chill in the fridge for a few hours. It will be liquidy when it’s sitting in your blender, but will actually firm up to make a nice pourable dressing when chilled.
- If you want a thicker dipping sauce, just add less water. So, start with adding 4 tbsp of water, and then keep adding it until the texture seems thick enough. Keep in mind that things will be runnier in the blender than they are once chilled!
This low carb vegan ranch dressing is dairy free, keto friendly and absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or chives)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a blender, add hempseeds, water, salt, onion and garlic. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides every so often (carefully!).
- One this mixture is smooth, add in vegan mayo, chopped dill, chopped parsley and pepper and blend until just combined.
- Pour into a sealed container, chill and enjoy!