So, we’re all pretty aware of how delicious the combination of chocolate and peanut butter can be, but there seem to be significantly fewer fans of white chocolate and peanut butter. This is actually pretty understandable – white chocolate can be cloyingly sweet, almost overpowering. Plus, there really isn’t a low carb white chocolate option to buy out there. A shame! So, as often happens, I decided to make one myself.
Now, typically white chocolate recipes call for powdered milk, but I really didn’t want to have to buy an entire bag of something I will literally only use to make white chocolate (I know what you’re thinking, but cocoa butter is much more versatile!). So, instead of powdered milk, I used whey. I’ll be honest, the result isn’t perfect. Commercial white chocolate uses far more emulsifiers and carb-heavy ingredients to get that smooth texture. So, the result here is a white chocolate that’s a tad bit gritty. That being said, I consider it a small sacrifice for literally having .5g of net carbohydrates per serving, and for tasting pretty darned delicious.
Now, since I don’t do dairy, I wanted to find a vegan substitute for the whey, and powdered coconut milk works perfectly! I tried using just the cream from coconut milk, but that made everything smushy and gross. Powdered, however, works like a dream!
Notes on Making Low Carb White Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites:
- You may have noticed that Swerve has been my sweetener of choice for a while. Part of the reason I’m so enamored is that it brings a sugar-like texture to baked goods. You could also try stevia, but the results will be a bit different.
- I used plain whey powder, but you could use a vanilla one and put in less extract.
- Make these vegan by using coconut milk powder instead of whey!
- Fun silicone molds make all the difference!
- I used Trader Joe’s brand of peanut butter, which has a bit more of a “natural peanut butter” texture, and it set up just fine. Less oily PB options should do the same!
- If you know of a commercial low carb white chocolate peanut butter snack, I would absolutely love to know about it!
- 1/2 cup cacao butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (salted)
- 3 tbsp Swerve, or other granulated sweetener (I used the confectioner's style for this)
- 1 heaping scoop (~30g) unflavored whey powder OR 4 tbsp powdered coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a double boiler on low heat, melt together peanut butter and cacao butter.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate dish, mix together whey and Swerve.
- Stir in whey/Swerve mixture 1 tbsp at a time, making sure the mix is completely incorporated before adding the next tbsp.
- Portion into a fun silicone mold (or a lined muffin tin!), and chill in the fridge for an hour to 90 minutes, until completely set.
- Remove from tray and enjoy! These should stay solid at room temp for a while (assuming you don't live on the equator...)!