Well, guys, I made more pies. This time around, I decided to fill the standard pie crust with a low carb peanut butter pumpkin filling that more or less, rocked my socks off. Why peanut butter and pumpkin? Because it’s an amazing flavor combination! I thought about adding a layer of chocolate underneath the filling…and this will probably happen next time I’m feeling adventurous. These mini low carb peanut butter pumpkin pies are certainly going to be on my Thanksgiving menu.
I’m sure you’re wondering how I plan on having a million and fifty pies at this mythic low carb Thanksgiving I’ve built up in my head… Well, I’m going to make one batch of low carb pie dough, and then split it evenly between apple and pumpkin pies. Boom. Problem solved. Or, I’ll make two batches of dough and then make even more ridiculous treats. I’m not worried either way – I’m not working the Wednesday before, so I’ll have plenty of time for baking!
Notes on baking vegan mini low carb peanut butter pumpkin pies:
- Yes, these are 6.3g of net carbs each, but trust me… they’re totally worth it!
- You could reduce the carbs by making these even smaller – try making tiny little pies in a muffin tin with a little dollop of filling, if you’re super concerned.
- I used 1/4 cup of Swerve, but if you want things a little but on the sweeter side, I’d recommend adding an extra tablespoon or two.
- In theory, you could totally make this into a full sized 9″ low carb peanut butter pumpkin pie by doubling the recipe (so, one full batch of dough, and double the filling).
- I garnished these by taking a bit of pie dough, folding some cinnamon in (to make swirls!), cutting out little pumpkin shapes, and baking those tiny “cookies” for ten minutes at 350. You can just pop the fully cooked tiny pumpkin on once the pies are out of the oven. So fancy!
- This recipe is vegan AND gluten-free, which is always fun!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseeds soaked in 3 tbsp water)
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter of choice (I went with creamy, salted)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Swerve or other granulated sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350 and make the pie crust using the directions found here.
- Press pie crust into 4 mini pie tins.
- Mix together pumpkin, peanut butter, Swerve, cinnamon and one flax egg until thoroughly combined.
- Evenly distribute the filing mixture into the pie dishes.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- If you want to be fancy, use leftover dough to cut little pumpkin shapes and bake those for 10 minutes (while the little pies are baking). Top tiny pies with tiny pumpkins before the filling has totally set.
- Pull from oven, and let cool before digging in!