I’ve been experimenting with low carb pizza crust recipes for a while now. Sometimes, I get kind of close…like, it’s good tasting and the texture is okay, but nothing all that fabulous. I’m not really excited about cauliflower crusts, because honestly – I like a simple recipe with minimal steps. The remainder of low carb pizza crust recipes seem to involve almond flour.
I’m not big on almond flour for a few reasons. Firstly, I’m allergic, and anaphylaxis and hives have proven to be a good deterrent. Secondly, it’s EXPENSIVE compared to something like flax seeds – like, 3-4 times more expensive. Lastly, almonds are actually pretty unsustainable to grow right now in the US. Most crops are grown in drought-plagued California, and are pretty greedy in the water department (that article is a really good reminder of one of the many reasons we should focus on buying local, but I digress). Okay, off the soap box and back to low carb pizza crust.
So, like I was saying, it’s been difficult nailing down the perfect recipe – you know the type of crust that’s slightly crispy, and actually holds together when things are put on top of it. Well, friends, I think I’ve finally gotten there and made a nut free low carb pizza crust that actually tastes really good, and is super keto friendly.
Some notes on baking low carb pizza crust:
- Similar type recipes usually have you melt the cheese used in the base. I didn’t bother because it’s an extra step, and not really needed here. Lazy keto is lazy.
- Wax paper and a silicon baking mat really work wonders here!
- You could add some spices to the crust if you’d like to make things more festive – garlic and onion are good classics!
- I didn’t bother including a topping suggestion here because you are all intelligent enough to figure that part out for yourselves. Plus, I’m
boringclassic and really like plain cheese pizza.
- This recipe is also really high in protein – 20g per serving!
- 1/2 cup flax meal/ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut four
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces shredded cheese (I use Cheddar and it's fab)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- any other seasoning of choice
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, mix together flax meal, coconut flour, salt, pepper, optional seasoning of choice and cheese until everything is pretty evenly distributed.
- Stir in greek yogurt and egg. You'll have to put some elbow grease into this, but it's worth it. Stir until a dough forms that you can knead with your hands. Wear gloves if you must (I totally did).
- Plop the dough ball on top of a silicon baking sheet and cover with a piece of wax paper/parchment paper or plastic wrap that is around the same size as the silicon mat.
- With a rolling pin (or in a pinch, a wine bottle!), roll out the dough until it's about 1/8th of an inch thick - I got a round that was about 14" in diameter. Not too shabby! If your dough is a little thicker than this, the baking times will increase.
- Throw the mat on top of a pizza pan (or inverted cookie sheet). Toss in the oven for 10 minutes. The top should be a little bubbly with cheese, the edges should be slightly golden and the bottom should peel away nicely from the mat (with a little bit of coaxing here and there).
- Flip the crust (how? veeeeeery carefully - I flipped it out onto another silicon mat, peeled away the first mat and put it back on the tray, and then slid the crust back onto that ), and bake on the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Pull from the oven, cover with sauce/cheese/toppings of choice and bake for another 10-12 minutes!
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then cut and eat. 😀