Vegan keto pizza recipes can be hard to come by, despite low carb vegans increasing in number every day. The “holy grail” of low carb pizza crusts is undoubtedly the fathead dough – but it’s made with cream cheese, shredded cheese and eggs. So, clearly some alterations would need to be made to come up with a vegan fathead pizza recipe.
Regular fathead pizza is also almond flour based, which doesn’t really work for my almond allergy. So, this vegan fathead pizza would also have to be nut free. Was I up for the challenge? Oh, heck yeah. I’m obsessed with pizza. This was going to happen if I had to move heaven and earth to accomplish it.
But actually, it didn’t end up being that difficult at all. Somehow, coming up with a gluten free, grain free, nut free, vegan, keto pizza crust was actually pretty simple…
Notes on Making Nut Free Vegan Fathead Pizza Dough
- I used a half cup of whole flaxseeds, and ground them before mixing them in. Storing flaxseeds in the fridge in their whole form can help prevent oxidation!
- There is a whole lot of fiber in this recipe, so…uh, be warned.
- It’s really important to pour the water in slowly, and wait about a minute between each addition, to let the psyllium and flax absorb as much as possible.
- You can use whatever sauce and toppings you like! The recipe itself has 1.5g of net carbs per half serving (better than traditional fathead pizza crust!), so there’s some wiggle room for sure.
- If you don’t have vegan cream cheese, add an additional 1/4 cup of water and 2 tbsp of psyllium husk instead! The results are a little less tangy, but still delicious!
- The non-vegan fathead pizza crust typically contains shredded cheese as a binder, but most vegan cheese is pretty carb-heavy, and between the flax and psyllium, this doesn’t really need it!
- This recipe makes a flatbread-style crust. It’s flexible and slightly chewy, and holds together super well.
- Nutrition provided is for crust only, not toppings!
- 1/2 cup whole flaxseeds, ground fine
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or seasoning of choice!)
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line with parchment paper, or a silicon baking mat.
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Cut in vegan cream cheese.
- Slowly add water to mixture, mixing thoroughly before adding more water.
- When all water is incorporated, turn out dough on the baking mat, and flatten into a quarter-inch-thick pizza shape.
- Bake the round for 25 minutes, then carefully flip and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip crust again and top with sauce/pesto/veggies/vegan cheese/whatever.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes more (depending on toppings). Remove, let cool and enjoy!