Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Sometimes you just want ice cream, and finding a low carb vegan ice cream substitute is not easy. Further, finding a low carb vegan ice cream that actually tastes good and is creamy is nearly impossible. I certainly haven’t found one yet!
The other day, CM was asking me to make him some homemade ice cream that included both chocolate, and peanut butter. I’ve tried using bananas before (you know, “nice cream”), but the result is so icey, and banana-y. Plus, I wanted a keto version. So, I turned to avocados.
I’m sure you guys have come across a recipe for avocado pudding before. It’s nothing new – you blend together avocados, chocolate, some form of sweetener and maybe another flavor and the result is surprisingly amazing. I figured that this little miracle might transfer well to the freezer and make a nice low carb dairy free ice cream that pretty much anyone can enjoy! This recipe is also great because it’s tree-nut-free, and if you use sunflower seed butter in lieu of peanut butter, peanut free, too. Just one more allergen-free dessert to add to the list!
Notes on Making Chocolate Peanut Butter Low Carb Vegan Ice Cream:
- I used a crunchy, salted peanut butter for this. It’s gives a nice contrast to the creaminess of the avocado. Plus, salt and chocolate is always a good combo.
- You could also use sunflower seed butter for a similar effect!
- I don’t actually add any sweetener to this, but 10 drops of stevia will sweeten it nicely, if you really have a sugar craving.
- This will freeze pretty hard (unlike traditional ice cream, this does not have any air whipped in), so running the scoop under hot water before serving will make your life much easier.
- Also, if you check the ice cream frequently while it’s freezing, you may be able to catch it at that point where it’s not too hard yet.
- You can totally eat this without freezing it, and it’s delicious…so I hear…
Chocolate Peanut Butter Low Carb Vegan Ice Cream
- 4 medium Hass avocados obviously, remove the seed and peel
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 10 drops liquid stevia optional
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine avocados, cacao powder and stevia (if desired). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a tightly-sealing, freezer-safe container. Swirl in 1/4 cup of peanut butter.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Peanut Butter Low Carb Vegan Ice Cream”
Hi! Could you please explain to me how a recipe that calls for peanut butter as a main ingredient translates into a “nut-free” dish? Where i come from, peanutbutter is made with peanuts, which I am lead to believe is one of the most common nuts to be allergic to!
Hi there, thanks for commenting! I certainly see the confusion there, but peanuts are actually a legume and in a separate allergen category from nuts (like walnuts, almonds or pecans). So many keto and low carb dishes are based around almonds, that it’s really difficult to find a tree-nut-free dessert out there.
I updated the text to clarify this, as you’re right – most people aren’t thinking of peanuts in a separate category! I appreciate the feedback! 🙂