Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
With Thanksgiving (in America!) getting ever closer, it’s time to start thinking about Thanksgiving menus! As a New England girl, I kind of feel it’s my duty to include cranberries in as many Thanksgiving-themed items as possible. To accomplish this, I’ve made a delicious low carb cranberry sauce, that’s made without extra sugar and is keto-friendly. How does one do this? Magic! And wine!
But seriously, on both accounts… The recipe was painfully easy to make, and barely required anything more than a bag of cranberries, some stevia and some red wine. I really wasn’t kidding about the wine. I know you may be wondering how it’s possible to have made a low carb cranberry sauce that is actually acceptable to those of us trying to keep keto, but I assure you – it’s possible.
This low carb cranberry sauce is thick and spreadable, more like a relish, and less like the wiggly, overly-sugared canned stuff.
Recipe notes for Low Carb Cranberry Sauce:
- The 1/4 cup of red wine used in this recipe, could easily be replaced by white wine…or lime juice, or lemon juice. You’re pretty much looking to add a little acid. I imagine that even 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 3 tbsp water would do the trick.
- You could easily jazz this up with 1 tbsp of orange/lemon/lime zest OR 1 tsp cinnamon. Heck cinnamon AND orange zest would also make for a delightful cranberry sauce.
- Stevia is kind of a fickle mistress, since different brands bring with them varying levels of sweetness – I’d recommend starting small (15-20 drops for the whole batch), thoroughly mixing it in, and then adjusting from there. I usually use this site for conversions, but find that brands vary so much, it can be tricky.
- This makes a killer topping for mashed squash. Just throwing that out there.
Crazy Easy Low Carb Cranberry Sauce
- 1 bag 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup red wine
- liquid stevia to taste - see note above
- Pour wine and cranberries into a saucepan on medium low heat.
- Cover the pan and let sit for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cranberries should be "popped" open by now. Gently press down with a spoon to open up the remaining cranberries.
- Remove the lid, and continue cooking - stirring frequently - until the sauce is thick (this was about 20 minutes for me).
- Remove from heat, and add stevia to taste (see note above).
- Stir, and you're done!
4 thoughts on “Crazy Easy Low Carb Cranberry Sauce”
Sounds wonderful! How far in advance could you make this?
Thank you Kelley! This kept really well for about 2 weeks for me (I don’t know how long it would have actually lasted, because it was all gone after that).
Can powdered stevia be used instead of liquid?
Hi Andrea, absolutely! Just make sure it doesn’t clump (I have made that mistake!!)