Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Despite the fact that spring is supposedly a week away, it’s still going to feel like winter for at least another month. So, I’m still trying to warm up with various soups and stews. Because beets are really cheap, really good for you, and really tasty, a low carb vegan borscht seemed like an appropriate choice dinner option.
The soup itself is only around 100 calories for 1/4 of the batch, so you will definitely need to serve it alongside something, or with a nice dollop of a vegan sour cream type thing. I hope you enjoy this stew recipe, and that it warms you up as much as it’s warming me!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Borscht
- Some recipes for beet stew contain tomatoes, but since they’re really high in carbs, we will happily omit those!
- This recipe tastes great without the bay leaves and juniper berries, but they certainly add some depth to the flavor.
- Yes, there is more cabbage in comparison to beets in this recipe – this is again because of carb counts.
- I like to serve this with homemade coconut yogurt, which literally just involves fermenting a can of full fat coconut milk overnight with a probiotic capsule in it. Science!
- You could also use a savory homemade cashew yogurt, or really any non-dairy sour cream/yogurt type thing.
- If you want the soup to be a little richer, you could double the olive oil.
Easy Low Carb Vegan Borscht (Beet Stew)
- 1 cup shredded beets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp juniper berries & 2-3 bay leaves
- fresh dill and vegan sour cream for a garnish
- In a stock pot, on medium low heat, sautee beets, carrots and cabbage in the olive oil.
- Add in seasoning and veggie stock, and simmer until all the veggies are soft, and completely cooked.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly and strain out juniper berries and bay leaves.
- Serve with chopped dill and vegan sour cream (if desired).
3 thoughts on “Easy Low Carb Vegan Borscht (Beet Stew)”
This sounds amazing! Since going keto I’ve really missed my beets, especially in a good borscht. Can’t wait to try this out!
Hi Natalie! Thanks for the comment – I hope you like this recipe as much as I do. It’s simple, but that’s how I like my borscht. 😀