Easy Vegan Keto Omelette (gluten free & soy free)
I’ve made it pretty clear that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. You’ve seen me post vegan keto pancakes, vegan keto waffles and many iterations of noatmeal. Breakfast isn’t just sweet foods, though! In fact, I usually prefer more savory options in the morning. I typically make vegan omelets with chickpea flour, but that’s not really something that you can eat regularly on a plant-based ketogenic diet because it’s pretty high in carbs, so I realized I’d have to modify my favorite chickpea omelette recipes to come up with an easy vegan keto omelette that can be made on a weekend morning.
I genuinely don’t even remember where I originally saw a recipe for a vegan omelet made with bean flour. It’s one of those things like chocolate avocado pudding that has just seemed to exist as long as the internet. So, I’ve been making this one from memory for maybe a decade and the keto version of it for a few years. There are a few ingredients in here (namely the lupini flour and black salt) that are a bit spendy, so if you are on a budget you can sub the lupini flour for a different bean flour (soy flour is pretty low carb). You can also just replace the black salt with regular salt.
I hope you enjoy this vegan keto breakfast! If you make it for yourself, I’d love to hear about it either on social media or below in the comments. Enjoy!
Notes on Making An Easy Vegan Keto Omelette (gluten free & soy free)
- As noted above, you can use either lupini flour or soy flour for this. Chickpea flour and fava flour would also work if you can tolerate a few extra carbs.
- Patience is key here – you really have to wait until the top is “solid” with those little holes (like making a pancake) to flip it. And then you have to gently flip it.
- A greased nonstick pan is also important, both for appearance and to make sure the omelet doesn’t stick.
- If it does stick and start to fall apart, you can just gently break it up with the spatula and turn it into a scramble.
- For toppings, go with what makes your heart happy! I filled this with lightly sauteed red peppers and added a little salsa because that’s what I wanted at the moment, but it’s really up to you!
- The nutrition info for this is based on using lupini flour. So, if you are using soy flour or another bean flour, you will want to keep that in mind.
- You totally don’t need to use the black salt. I have made this countless times without the eggy-tasting salt and it’s still delicious. The salt is just kind of a novel addition.
- If you are having trouble getting the omelet to stick together, you can always add a 1/2 tbsp of ground flax to the batter and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to gel up before cooking it.
This delicious easy vegan keto omelette is soy free (no tofu!), gluten free and super easy to make. It's the perfect way to add protein and fiber to your meal, while still being low carb.
- 1/4 cup (28g) lupini flour or bean flour of choice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch dehydrated onion
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch black salt (kala namak)
- pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Lightly grease a nonstick pan and set it to medium-low heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk everything together until the lumps are gone. The batter should be around the thickness of a pancake batter.
- Once the pan has been heating for about 5 minutes, pour all of the batter into the center of the pan. It should spread out to be about 6-7" (15-18cm) in diameter.
- Cover the pan and let this cook for between 5-10 minutes (the exact time will depend on your stove and pan) until the edges start to come up a little on their own, there are bubbles that have popped on the surface and the center of the "pancake" is pretty firm to the touch.
- Shimmy your spatula under this pancake and carefully flip it.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for another 1-2 minutes for the underside to firm up as well.
- Remove from the pan, fill as desired, fold, top with whatever makes you happy and enjoy!