Kelp Noodles With Avocado Pesto (low carb, gluten free, nut free, raw)
It’s no secret that I really love kelp noodles. They’re low carb, while actually containing nutrients. They’re also gluten free, and super easy to make on a hot night when you don’t even want to look at your stove. I’ve made low carb vegan pad thai with these noodles before, as well as takeaway-style low carb vegan lo mein, but I hadn’t really branched out from there until tonight. I realized that I’d had an avocado sitting in my fridge for a few days, and figured I should probably use it up before it turned. I also had some fresh baby spinach and basil, so a kelp noodle pesto seemed like the obvious choice!
This dish is absurdly easy to put together. You basically soak noodles, whip up a pesto in the blender, and serve. This is another dish that almost anyone can enjoy since it’s low carb, vegan, gluten free, nut free, soy free and even paleo AIP (autoimmune protocol) compliant (as long as you don’t add tomatoes or seeds). It’s seriously only 1.3g of net carbs per serving. You could pretty much invite almost anyone to a barbeque or picnic, and they could happily eat this. In fact, it may be my new go-to entertaining meal!
If you end up making this, I’d love to hear how it turned out! Feel free to leave a comment, or tag me on social media!
Notes on Making Kelp Noodles With Avocado Pesto (low carb, gluten free, nut free, raw)
- So long as you use cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil, this is actually raw
- To keep this AIP compliant, just don’t add the tomatoes at the end, or red pepper! Or any nuts or seeds to the pesto.
- While the recipe suggests using a combination of spinach and basil, you could add all of one or the other for delicious results!
- The kelp noodles stay pretty crunchy, even after soaking and smothering with the pesto. It’s really a refreshing texture for warm days!
- These noodles definitely need to be rinsed, and then soaked for at least a half hour before using them. Otherwise, they taste bitter and sad.
Theis keto kelp noodle and avocado pesto recipe is low carb, vegan, gluten free, easy and delicious! It's creamy, rich and filling, and also AIP compliant!
- 1 hass avocado
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 package of kelp noodles
- Thoroughly rinse the kelp noodles, and then soak them in water for at least 30 minutes. After a few minutes of soaking, it's easier to break them apart from the clump, so that they're more manageable and soak more easily.
- While the noodles are soaking, combine all of the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blitz until smooth. I like to leave little bits of leaves showing and not pulverize it into oblivion, but the choice is yours!
- After the thirty minutes, drain the noodles and add 1/4 cup of pesto per 1 bag of noodles. The pesto recipe makes packages of noodles worth of sauce!
- Mix the noodles and the pesto really well, top with whatever you'd like, and enjoy!