Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Every time I see someone post their amazing “elevated toast” on Instagram, I get pretty jealous. While I certainly love how I feel when eating low carb, I also really do miss eating bread products – I am only human after all. So, in order to create my own fun toast, I figured I should also make myself some low carb vegan flatbreads. This recipe makes a really hearty flatbread that is reminiscent of Scandinavian crisp bread (knekkebrød in Norway). It’s perfect as a base for lots of toppings, and really hits the spot.
In order to make this recipe as accessible as possible, it’s also totally nut free! This is great for those people (like me) who can’t eat certain nuts, and still want to be able to enjoy some darned flatbread. The recipe itself is pretty simple, and can be used for sweet or savory toppings. Basically, this is the perfect low carb, gluten free, nut free vegan flatbread for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Notes on Making Low Carb Crispbread (knekkebrød):
- If you really want to use nuts instead of the seeds mentioned, you can easily sub out any of them for almonds, pecans, walnuts – the world is your oyster.
- These do cook for an incredibly long time, but they need it in order to get crispy!
- While these can keep for up to 5 days, they definitely lose their crispiness. Revive them with a few minutes in the oven, or a toaster before eating again!
- Psyllium husk is truly the magic ingredient here, and this recipe wouldn’t be possible without it.
- These make a truly awesome breakfast with a little bit of hummus and some chili powder.
- If you like sweeter foods for breakfast, can spread nut butter or coconut on top, and add berries and cinnamon!
- If you really want crackers, cut or break this up into smaller pieces. A serving is 28g!
This low carb, vegan crispbread recipe is a perfect cracker replacement that is gluten free, nut free and super easy to make!
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (raw is best)
- 1 cup flaxseeds (whole)
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss all the seeds, salt, baking powder and psyllium husk into a food processor or blender, and pulverize until everything looks like sand. If the seeds start to bind up and form a butter, stop!
- Stir in the water, and mix until a uniform batter forms. Let this sit for ten minutes. Everything will thicken, and become more dough-like.
- Pour the dough onto a cookie sheet that is lined with either parchment paper, or a silicon baking mat. Spread the dough/batter evenly over the pan. It should be about 1/4" thick all around.
- Bake in the oven for at least 75 minutes. Remove when everything is firm (including the center). If the edges start to darken, remove immediately.
- Once out of the oven, score into 20 equal pieces with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Let the crispbreads cool for about a half hour, and then break apart on the scored lines.