Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Ginger is one of my favorite flavors for sure, and so it makes sense that I’m head-over-heels for these low carb vegan gingerbread cookies. Like the other treats I’ve been baking lately, they’re nut-free for those of us with nut allergies, as well as gluten free, grain free, vegan and…you get the gist. These cookies were so simple to make, and well worth it. Each little guy is only half a gram of net carbs, which is pretty great, in my opinion.
I’m getting in the holiday spirit pretty early this year – now that I’m working from home (yay, lack of commute!), I’ve got a lot more time for baking things every day. So, I’m submitting these low carb gingerbread cookies as an early holiday offering. They’re on the softer side, which is (for the most part) how I like my cookies, and not too sweet – in other words, they’re perfect. 😉
If you want to get a jump on your low carb Christmas cookie baking this year, I strongly suggest adding these little guys to your To Do list. They’ve got my whole apartment smelling warm and delicious!
Notes on baking low carb gingerbread cookies:
- I used 2 tbsp of Swerve granulated sweetener, but if you like things a little bit on the sweeter side, you could very easily double this.
- This recipe makes about 20 mini cookies (2.5″ tall), and uses the little guy from this cookie cutter set – I like little things better for portion control, and cuteness 🙂
- I used this gingerbread spice recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo, but if you don’t have those spices on hand – 1 tsp of ginger with 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice should easily approximate a good gingerbread spice mix!
- For the super spice-deficient, 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp cinnamon with a pinch of nutmeg, or clove or allspice (whatever you have!) will cut it 😉
- I used Trader Joe’s vegan cream cheese and Earth Balance buttery spread, but any brand should do!
- 2 ounces (56g tbsp) vegan cream cheese
- 2 ounces (56g) vegan butter spread
- 6 tbsp (42g) coconut flour
- 2 tbsp Swerve, or other granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp gingerbread spice blend (or any of the options listed in the notes above)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, vanilla, spices and Swerve until light and fluffy.
- Mix in coconut flour, 2 tbsp at a time. You'll need to knead the last 2 tbsp in.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thick - you may need to lightly dust the dough and surface with a pinch of coconut flour.
- Cut into desired shapes and layout on tray - you don't need to worry about them spreading.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let sit for at least 15 minutes - this will allow the cookies to set up. If you try to move them before this, they will fall apart!
- Nom nom nom.