Low Carb Vegan Pumpkin “Cheddar” Risotto
Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
One of my favorite things about fall (well, in addition to basically everything else about fall) is that pumpkin recipes become totally acceptable. I’ve been working through a can of pumpkin puree over the past few days and decided that instead of making something sweet today, I’d take a stab a a low carb vegan pumpkin risotto recipe. After all, sometimes you just want to make a vegan keto rice dish.
I had pretty high hopes for this low carb risotto, but it really exceeded my expectations! I’m definitely going to make this for Thanksgiving this year, and probably a bunch more times before that. Vegetarian keto recipes are hard to come by, especially fall specific vegan keto recipes, so this is getting a gold star for sure.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Pumpkin “Cheddar” Risotto
- I called this a low carb vegan pumpin “cheddar” risotto because the nutritional yeast and paprika flavors give this a really rich, smooth, cheesy flavor. If you wanted to, you could try sprinkling some vegan cheese substitute on top, but it honestly doesn’t need it.
- You could also use canned butternut squash for this, but that’s where the substitutions end.
- For the liquid, you could use any of the following: unsweetened dairy free milk, unsweetened dairy free cream, dry white wine, water, vegetable broth. Obviously, the macros will change based on what you go with.
- I used vegetable broth for the liquid, so the nutrition for this recipe are calculated based on that.
- I strongly recommend letting the cauliflower simmer in the liquid for a little bit before even adding in the pumpkin, to make sure it gets soft enough
- For this recipe, I used 1/4 cup of sliced leek, but half a small onion or a shallot would also impart lovely flavors. You can use also tsp of onion powder instead, if you really don’t want to deal with an actual onion.
This rich and creamy vegan keto pumpkin risotto combines some nutritional heavy hitters to make a warm fall dish that's also super healthy.
- 1/4 cup sliced leek
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 12 ounces (about 3 cups) of riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (or butternut squash)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup of veggie broth (or dry wine, or nondairy milk)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- In a fairly large saucepan on medium heat, add the olive oil, leek, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Let the leek soften (cook until it's pretty translucent), stirring occasionally. .
- Add in cauliflower, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour in the veggie broth and place the lid on the saucepan, and let this cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally so as not to have the cauliflower stick.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and nutritional yeast.
- Taste the mixture (carefully!) - add more salt/pepper if necessary. If the cauliflower is still a bit hard, cook until it is softer, and more like rice.
- Remove the mixture from heat and garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!