Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
I love fall, and pumpkin, and sugar free baking, and thus… low carb pumpkin spice shortbread! Okay, so “low carb pumpkin spice shortbread” was not the first thing that came to my mind when I woke up this morning… but, here we are, just a quick craving later.
I really wanted to add some nutritional value to these bad boys (though, cinnamon has some fabulous blood sugar regulating effects), and so I mixed a 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree into the batter. This does increase the carb count slightly, and makes them a little less crispy than they could be. If you wanted to have the crispiest shortbread possible, I would definitely recommend going whole hog and just putting a full stick of butter into the recipe. Of course, this eliminates the”pumpkin,” but really – it’s the spice that imparts most of the flavor!
You can see below, that I may have gone a little batty, and cut these into adorable Halloween shapes…and also into fall leaves and acorns. This is an easy enough recipe to roll out and cut, so why not? Plus, those leaves, acorns, bats and cats make the perfect accompaniment for a nice, hot mug of tea…or coffee… or mulled wine?
Some notes on making low carb pumpkin spice shortbread:
- these can be formed by hand into little patties, or cut using adorable Halloween or fall cookie cutters – guess which route I took…
- I used pumpkin pie spice, but Chinese five spice, or just cinnamon could easily be used in its place
- I baked these for 25 minutes at , but you could probably get away with 18 minutes at 350ºF
- half the fun of these is decorating them – yes, the frosting has carbs, but how much are you gonna put on there?!
- for a crispier cookie, eliminate the pumpkin puree, and double the butter to a full stick (YUM)