Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Rice and beans is one of those staple foods that vegans tend to make over and over. I used to basically make one giant slow-cooker batch of beans and rice every week, and then just add a cup to every meal. With that in mind, I set out to create something similar that I could make a large batch of at the beginning of the week, and just eat throughout. Recently, I was thinking that I really missed having my old standby, and set out to find a way to make a low carb vegan keto rice and beans recipe.
Something you guys have been asking for a lot lately is more slow-cooker meals. It can be hard to adjust to a new way of eating (like vegan keto!), so meal-prepping can be a huge help. Using a slow-cooker to help meal prep is even better because you can just toss everything in, give it a stir, and get on with the rest of your recipes. I specifically decided to make this low carb vegan rice and beans in the slow cooker for this reason.
The ingredient that makes this entire thing is potentially a little surprising: black soybeans. I actually found these at my local grocery store, but they were cheaper to buy by the case on Amazon, so I went ahead and treated myself. You can also by these beans dry, and soak them ahead of time, but I like the convenience of the canned ones right now. Plus, you can do some pretty cool things with the liquid in the can of beans (more on that later!).
While black soybeans don’t taste exactly like black beans, they’re surprisingly close! Cooking them for a while in the slow cooker with all the spices really makes them tender and flavorful. They really are a delicious vegan keto rice and beans substitute.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Rice and Beans
- These cooked in my slow cooker on high heat for 4 hours and were perfect. You can achieve the same thing on low in 8 hours if you’d prefer to leave it going all day or overnight.
- The black soybeans are the only thing I’ve really found that not only taste good but are also super low in carbs. They have just 1g of net carbs per 1/2 cup serving.
- For a fun change of pace, you could use a curry powder of your choosing instead of the chili powder. Sometimes it’s nice to mix things up. 🙂
- I like to mix in hemp seeds with the rice, to add more protein, as well as omegas. If you can’t find hulled hemp seeds where you are (or they aren’t allowed where you are), you can use pepitas or sunflower seeds instead. You could also just omit the seeds entirely, and reduce the veggie broth to 1/2 cup.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice, and serve with avocado.
Low Carb Vegan Rice and Beans
- 2 packages frozen cauliflower rice 12oz/340g each
- 2 cans black soy beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup 80g hulled hemp seeds
- 1 cup vegetable broth or stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp mexican oregano
- Garnishes of choice
- Add everything but the mexican oregano to your slow cooker and mix around as best as possible. Let cook on high for about 3-4 hours (depending on how your slow cooker tends to cook - see notes), until the "rice" is tender. Stir in oregiano.
- Garnish as desired and serve, or portion out for the week.