Low Carb Vegan Cabbage Slaw
Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
One of the most popular recipes on this blog by FAR is my vegan keto crack slaw recipe, which surprised me because it’s cabbage-based, and I didn’t realize the rest of you like cabbage just as much as I do! In the spirit of that crack slaw, I thought a cold low carb vegan cabbage slaw recipe would make a nice addition to my summer menu, so I did a bunch of searching around on the old internet machine and worked out this recipe.
I’ve actually been making this for a few weeks at home now, and it’s been really popular with my husband, and with our friends. None of our friends are remotely low carb or vegan (and my husband is definitely on the higher end of the carb spectrum), so I take their approval as a very good sign.
This delicious low carb slaw recipe is not only vegan, but also low carb and paleo friendly – what a world!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Cabbage Slaw
- The dressing is what gives this recipe a lot of the flavor, and the longer it sits, the better. I like to let the dressing chill out in the fridge for an hour or two before adding it in to the recipe, so that the flavors meld nicely.
- If you can’t find scallions/green onions near you, you can always use a little bit of red onion instead.
- This recipe scales up really nicely, so you can double or triple it to bring to a BBQ, or just make it as written for a smaller meal at home.
- I noticed that this stayed good in the fridge for 48 hours after making it, but I wouldn’t trust it in there any longer (not that there will even be any left…).
- The dressing does store nicely on it’s own, and I like to quadruple the amounts to have this on hand for salads during the week.
This tangy low carb vegan cabbage slaw gets it's flavor from tamari and ginger, making it a delicious and unique addition to any bbq or picnic!
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar (make sure there is no sugar!)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside so the flavors meld.
- In a large serving bowl, mix the cabbage, scallions and carrots until thoroughly combined.
- Toss the veggies and dressing together, and sprinkle sesame seeds on for garnish.