Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
As the weather gets colder, and the number of vegetables that are in season in New England dwindles, I’ve been looking for new ways to use the root crops we have in abundance. Two of the vegetables that appear regularly in my farm share are carrots, and kohlrabi. Because carrots are pretty high in sugar, I don’t really get to use them in recipes as much as I’d like, but lately I’ve really been craving a carroty soup. So, I decided to combine these delicious carrots with the low carb cruciferous power of kohlrabi to make this low carb vegan carrot soup.
Like all the recipes I make, I tried to optimize this nutritionally, and added in some hemp seeds to give a creamy texture, while also providing protein, omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. In addition to being vegan and low carb, this soup is also nut free, soy free and gluten free. It’s a recipe that almost anyone can enjoy, regardless of dietary restrictions.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Carrot Soup
- If you don’t have kohlrabi, cauliflower is a perfect substitute.
- I use powdered garlic and onion here because it’s way more economical than buying a whole onion that you use a
- tiny bit of, but you can definitely use whole cloves of garlic in place of the powder.
- The hemp seeds can be replaced by cashews for a similarly creamy texture, if you aren’t so worried about carbs.
- I blended this up in my Vitamix blender. It seemed like a steep investment a few years ago when I first went vegan, but has proved to be invaluable.
- Instead of herbs de provence, you can also use pretty much any herb blend. There’s a poultry herb blend I like that works well with this, too. It’s got sage, marjoram, parsley, rosemary and scallions.
Low Carb Vegan Carrot Soup
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots ~200g
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled kohlrabi (or cauliflower!), ~200g
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence or herb blend of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a pot on medium heat. Toss in carrots, kohlrabi, garlic and onions. Cook this for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour stock over this mixture, and continue to cook, covered, until the carrots and kolhrabi are soft.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes, add in the hemp seeds.
- Either blend with an immersion blender, or carefully pour into a blender and puree.