Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Let me paint you a word picture – imagine a grown woman, wearing a reindeer onesie and listening to Wham’s “Last Christmas” while dancing around her kitchen, drinking vegan keto eggnog and making cookies. This, my friends, is how you get poorly decorated low carb vegan chocolate peppermint cookies in the shape of snowflakes. They taste great, though, and really got me into the holiday spirit!
These are a pretty basic Christmas cookie that you can frost or enjoy plain. I usually serve them with some other types of cookies for variety.
Notes on Making Low Carb Chocolate Peppermint Christmas Cookies
- I have used the Trader Joe’s and Go Veggie brands of vegan cream cheese for this with great success.
- These totally don’t need frosting, but sometimes it’s fun to decorate!
- Along the lines of frosting, the amount of frosting isn’t intended to frost the entire surface of the cookie, but just to add some embellishment.
- The cookie cutter I used was about 2″ in diameter (though not solid, as it was a snowflake). The size of the cookie cutter definitely determines how many cookies you get out of this!
- The dough will need to rest a bit before being able to be rolled out. But a few minutes should do the trick!
- For sweeteners, I prefer to use Lakanto. It’s the brand I’ve found that works best for baking, and doesn’t upset my stomach. You can save 15% if you shop on their site using the code MeatFreeKeto.
- While I like to use the Lakanto brand for sweeteners, but any granulated sugar-substitute should work. Keep in mind that different brands will have different nutritional info!
- When entering this recipe in your nutrition calculator, remember to subtract the grams of carbs from the sweetener, as erythritol metabolizes at such a low percentage!
Low Carb Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
For the Frosting
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp softened coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- liquid stevia to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine extracts, cream cheese and sweetener.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add in the coconut flour, and stir until a dough forms. Knead to combine.
- Roll out the dough to a bit less than 1/4" and cut into desired shapes. If the dough is too sticky, use a dusting of cocoa powder to make rolling it out easier! You can also roll the dough out between sheets of parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for at least a half hour.
- Combine frosting ingredients in a separate bowl and put in a piping bag.
- When cookies are completely cool, frost and enjoy!