Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
I’m always on the lookout for plant based keto breakfast options. While I totally understand that any food can technically be a breakfast food, there’s just something about pancakes and hash browns and cereal that is distinctly “breakfasty.” Hot cereal is one of those foods in particular that reminds me of breakfasts as a kid. I loved both cream of wheat and oatmeal, and while neither are on the menu these days, there’s no reason I can’t make my own keto breakfast cereal. So, instead of oatmeal, we’ll be making a low carb vegan keto noatmeal.
Now, there are plenty of “noatmeal” (not-oatmeal, or no oats-meal…I’m never sure) recipes out there, and most involve flax and or chia as the base. I have no problem with this, as they’re both super healthy, but there was just something lacking in the texture for me. So, I decided to make a more grain-like breakfast cereal (though it’s decidedly grain-free) that reminded me of the Quaker Oatmeal packets I would eat as a kid (though, this recipe is sadly bereft of tiny sugar dinosaurs), and of the Cream of Wheat that my dad would always make me. This noatmeal manages to hit both those cravings, plus add in a little bit of tang from the lime.
So, instead of a chia or flax pudding, this has a coconut flour base. I understand that not all of you are thrilled about this, but I really wanted something that would actually feel like oatmeal. A girl has needs! I also needed this to be nut free, and it’s gluten free and soy free as well. Also, because I’ve been avoiding FODMAPs lately, you can also tick that box off of the list of “things this recipe is not…”
Anyway, let’s get to it!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Coconut Lime Noatmeal
- So, this recipe does contain protein powder. I used Vega Performance Sport protein, which is kind of my go-to. You can omit this if you don’t have protein powder. I’d just recommend cutting back the water by at least 2 tbsp to compensate
- I used 1/4 of a fresh lime (and zest!), but you could just use 1 tbsp lime juice in its place.
- You could replace the chia with the flax quite easily here. 🙂
- To increase the fats, you can definitely add in a tbsp of coconut oil. It makes everything that much more rich and creamy.
- I used Nutiva coconut manna, Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour and flax seed, in case you want to compare macros 🙂
- This is a great meal to prep for the week if you really hate having to make breakfast every morning. Just put the ingredients in an appropriately sized jar (it needs to hold more than a cup of liquid, plus have some stirring room!).
- I tried to add these notes in to the actual recipe, but the recipe plug-in has been malfunctioning lately…I’ll keep trying!
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut butter/manna
- 2 tbsp Vega Sport Performance Protein Powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp lime juice (or the juice and zest of 1/4 lime)
- 3/4 cup water, just off the boil
- Heat water. While waiting for it to boil, jump all remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Once the water has started to boil, remove it from the heat.
- Pour the water over the other ingredients, and stir until everything is thoroughly combined. It will take a few minutes for the coconut flour, protein powder and flax to absorb all the water and the oatmeal-like texture to be achieved.
- If you really like sticky oatmeal, I'd recommend starting with just a 1/2 cup of water, stirring and then waiting a few minutes for everything to combine and then slowly adding more water in from there.