Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Back in the day when I was a barista, matcha lattes were one of my favorite things to enjoy. For those who don’t know, matcha is a green tea powder, and a matcha latte involves matcha, vanilla, sweetener and your milk of choice. I always though coconut was the best combination with the matcha, and would frequently make myself coconut matcha lattes. Well, today, I had a craving for cupcakes that resulted in the creation of these low carb vegan cupcakes which are really a coconut matcha masterpieces.
The cupcake itself is incredibly simple to make, as was the frosting. I seriously didn’t expect a gluten free, vegan low carb cupcake to be so amazing! If you can do dairy, there are probably lower carb options, but if you’re dairy free or vegan… these are a home run!
Notes on Baking Low Carb Vegan Cupcakes with a Coconut Matcha twist:
- You can make these with a regular egg in place of the flax seed – just reduce the water to 1/4 cup, and make sure the coconut manna and water mixture has cooled before adding the egg.
- If you don’t want to track down coconut manna, you could use a nut butter in its place. The recipe will taste like whatever nut butter you choose, though!
- These are slightly crumbly when they come out of the oven, so be sure to let them cool completely before removing from the pan. This is why I chilled mine.
- If you wanted to give these a lemony twist, instead of the matcha powder, add the zest of a lemon to the frosting.
- The frosting is where most of the carbs are, so if you want a lower carb option, try whipping the solid part of coconut milk with sweetener and matcha. This will have way fewer carbs and will still taste great.
- Desiccated coconut makes a fun garnish for the top of these!
- Be sure to blend the frosting thoroughly, as it will be lumpy otherwise.