Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Sometimes, you just feel like having a little bit of cheese in a meal, and while there are some great alternatives in the market for cheddar, mozzarella and goat cheese, I have yet to find a pre-made vegan alternative to feta. Greek salads and spanikopita just aren’t aren’t the same without the tang of some nice, salty feta cheese, and since I really enjoy these dishes, I figured it was time to start making some feta that was compliant with a vegan low carb or ketogenic diet.
A few years ago, when I was working as a Healthy Eating Specialist for a certain chain of natural grocery stores, I came across The Uncheese Cookbook. It has basically been my vegan cheese bible ever since. While most of the recipes are pretty high in carbs, there are a few that I’ve managed to adapt to be low carb and keto friendly.
Admittedly, it’s been some time since I’ve had actual feta, but this recipe really hits the spot for me. It does contain soy as a primary component, but I’m cool with a little bit of soy here and there!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Faux Feta:
- Be sure to make this at least 48 hours before you want to use it!!
- This uses miso, which does seem high in carbs, but bear in mind that the tofu doesn’t absorb all of the miso, and thus does not actually contain the full carb load of the brine.
- I calculated the nutrition for this recipe based on the full carb load from the miso though, just to be safe. I always prefer to overestime.
- Nutrition data calculated from the USDA database, using Cronometer.com. This info might vary slightly from MyFitnessPal or other calculators, based on brand and types of ingredients!
- The 3.6g of carbs in the recipe are the net carbs, which means that this is the total number of carbs, with grams of fiber subtracted.
- I like to eat this faux feta on some flatbreads with pesto, as well as on a salad, or in spanikopita “quiche.”
Low Carb Vegan Faux Feta
- 1 14- oz 400g block firm or extra firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ 360ml cups water
- 1/4 60ml cup light miso
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- Place tofu cubes in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- While tofu is simmering, combine 1 ½ cups water, vinegar, salt and miso to make a brine.
- Once tofu has simmered for 5 minutes, remove from stove and drain thoroughly. Transfer the drained tofu
- cubes to a sealable container that is large enough to accommodate the tofu and brine.
- Pour the brine over the tofu cubes and chill for a few hours in the fridge, uncovered (to cool everything
- Cover, and continue chilling for at least 2 days, but up to 7.
- Drain well before adding to your meal!