Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Another day, another non-dairy low carb vegan yogurt substitute! I know – super appealing description. Lately, I’ve been trying to reduce my consumption of nuts – mostly because I realized I use them for basically everything, and should diversify my protein sources a bit. I also thought that using hemp seeds for yogurt would be a lower carb alternative to the low carb vegan cashew yogurt I usually make.
That hunch was not wrong! This yogurt is silky and smooth, and only .4g of net carbs per 1 cup serving. Seriously! This yogurt recipe is soy-free and sugar free, as well as technically being paleo, if that’s your thing. It’s also not fermented, which makes it more of a pudding than a yogurt, but work with me here. A lot of people don’t handle fermented foods well, and some just aren’t that keen on having a science experiment sitting on their counter for a few days. Plus, not fermenting this means you can eat it in just a few hours!
I’ll get to the recipe in juuuust a second, but I’m also going to point out that this has 10g of protein per serving, which is pretty amazing for something not remotely fortified with protein powder! I’m such a huge fan of this recipe, and so excited to post it! I really hope you try this – let me know if you do, either on social media, or in the comments!
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Hemp Yogurt
- Because this recipe uses glucomannan powder, the order of the steps is very important!
- You can hypothetically substitute xanthan gum or guar gum for the glucomannan, though I have not personally tried this.
- To get the tangy flavor, I added 1/2 cup of lemon juice at the end, but if you wanted a different flavor, you could reduce the lemon juice to about 2 tbsp (for that acidic note), and then add in berries or cocoa powder, or an extract. The world is your oyster!
- Glucomannan powder will not thicken enough to set up unless it reaches a hot enough temperature, so if you notice that your yogurt is not starting to thicken at all, you can toss it in a saucepan on medium-high heat, and wisk until it does. This shouldn’t happen, though, as long as your water is boiling!
This super low carb, keto-friendly vegan yogurt is dairy free, sugar free and even yeast, nut and soy free. It's a simple and delicious addition to your breakfast routine!
- 3/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp glucomannan powder
- stevia, to taste
- Boil the water, and combine 1 cup of water with the hemp seeds in a high powered blender. Process until the seeds are smooth and completely free of lumps. There will be black specks that are a natural part of the seed, but if you blend long enough (about a minute), they won't be noticeable in the texture. So, they're just a visual thing.
- With the blender still running, add in the glucomannan powder and then the remaining two cups of just-boiled water. Process for another 15-30 seconds. You'll notice that the mixture will have started to thicken.
- Add in the lemon juice (or whatever flavor you want!) and blend for a few seconds until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a clean container, seal and refigerate for at least 2-3 hours, until the yogurt sets!