Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of zucchini in my farm share (side note – I highly recommend a farm share if there’s a program available near you… you get so many vegetables for so much less expensive than you pay in store). So, I’ve been trying to use up this glut of summer squash in more exciting ways than just making endless zucchini noodles. I really like zucchini fritters, but just haven’t felt like babysitting a stove lately. So, I decided to make these low carb vegan zucchini fritters…without frying them.
These vegan keto zucchini cakes are actually baked instead of fried, which I think makes them much easier. Not only do you not have to deal with making sure to flip them at exaaaactly the right moment so they’re perfectly browned and don’t break, but you also don’t have to sit there and babysit a pan forever. I much prefer to just stick something in the oven and be able to walk away and do dishes or laundry or finish building a new house in the Sims. You know, normal things.
Anywho, in addition to being vegan (so egg-free and dairy-free) and keto-friendly, these low carb zucchini cakes are also gluten-free, nut-free, coconut-free and soy-free. I’ve made these baked vegan zucchini fritters easily 4 times this week. They’ve rapidly become my new favorite treat and I hope you guys like them, too! If you do make them, I’d love to see/hear about it. Tag me on Instagram to share pics or leave a comment. 🙂
Okay, on to the recipe…
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Mustard Dill Zucchini Cakes (gluten-free, coconut-free, nut-free, soy-free)
- You can make these low carb zucchini cakes without protein powder by using either lupini flour (super low carb but a bit spendy), soy flour or chickpea flour (pretty cheap but a little higher in carbs) in place of the pea protein powder.
- If you don’t love mustard and/or dill, you can omit them and add in whatever seasoning you prefer.
- You could also replace the olive oil, mustard, dill, and garlic with 2 heaped tablespoons of pesto.
- Using either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat really helps these to release from the baking sheet much, much easier.
- You don’t need to flip these halfway through, but it does make them brown more evenly.
- To increase the protein, you could add in either another 1/4 cup (28g) or soy flour or you could use pea protein powder.
- I used Anthony’s Pea Protein powder to calculate the macros for these low carb zucchini cakes, but if you used a different brand, you may have different results. Just something to keep in mind!
These low carb vegan zucchini cakes are easy to throw together, super tasty and gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free and coconut-free. They're also a good source of protein!
- 12oz/ g grated zucchini or summer squash (about 2 rounded cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup (28g) pea protein powder OR soy/chickpea/lupini flour if you don't want to use protein powder
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir the salt and grated zucchini together and let sit for about 20 minutes. Press out any excess moisture (I do this by smushing everything down with a spoon and then draining off the liquid).
- Preheat your oven to 350F (190C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Stir dill, oil, mustard, and garlic into the zucchini mixture until everything is well combined.
- Mix in the pea protein and divide the dough into four equal portions.
- Form four patties on the baking sheet and flatten to about 1/2 inch/1.3cm.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on both sides, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and enjoy.