Lately, I’ve been getting requests for more dinner recipes, and so I decided to share one of my favorites with all of you! This recipe for low carb vegan pesto flatbreads appears in both my ebook, and 4 week vegan keto meal plan, and is a favorite amongst my nutrition clients because it’s so high in protein, low in carbs and really tasty.
The flax wraps here are great, because they’re really low carb, as well as gluten free. The dough is a little hard to work with, but after you make this once, you’ll be a pro, and won’t have any more difficulties. This recipe is also nut free, which is a rarity in keto recipes, where so much depends on almonds. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! I’ll be sure to post more dinner recipes in the future.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Pesto Flatbread:
- Yes, the flatbreads are kind of involved to make, but it’s worth it!
- The flaxseed dough mixture has to rest for at least 5 minutes in order to actually stick together well enough to make flatbreads.
- Be sure to let the pan heat up before adding in the flaxseed dough, otherwise it will just stick to everything and become a goopy mess that is impossible to work with. Trust me here.
- The nutrition information is calculated using the USDA database and Cronometer.com. Your calculations may vary, depending on the brands or varities used, as well as the program.
- You can find vegan pesto at most health food stores, or make your own by blending fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, nutritional yeast, hempseeds, salt and lemon juice. I promise I’ll post a real recipe for this someday.
- Yes, there is tofu here, but you could sub that out for another dairy-free cheese if soy bothers you. You could also just sprinkle hemp seeds on top in lieu of the tofu feta, though it won’t be quite the same!
If you're looking for a flavorful, keto dinner option, look no further than these low carb vegan pesto flatbreads!
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vegan pesto
- 2 tbsp of chopped sun dried tomatoes and/or chopped olives
- 2 servings of faux feta
- Grind flaxseeds in your blender/coffee grinder (you can buy ground, but fresh will help prevent oxidation).
- Add in salt and other spices (garlic powder for savory recipes, maybe cinnamon for sweet).
- Slowly stir in the near-boiling water until a dough forms.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, separate the dough into two equal portions.
- In a skillet on medium low heat, add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Place a dough ball in the center, and smush it down with the spatula until it flattens into a tortilla.
- After a minute or so (when the bottom is lightly golden and “set”), flip the tortilla and cook for another minute or two on the opposite side.
- If you want a super flat tortilla, after flipping, cook for about 30 seconds and then move to a cutting board.
- Roll the tortilla with a rolling pin to achieve the desired thickness and return to the pan to cook for another minute on each side!
- Divide pesto and toppings between the two flatbreads, top and enjoy. I like to fold these and eat them like soft tacos.