Low Carb Vegan Pesto Flatbread (gluten-free, nut-free)
Lately, I’ve been getting requests for more dinner recipes, and so I decided to share one of my favorites with all of you! This recipe for low carb vegan pesto flatbreads appears in both my ebook, and 4 week vegan keto meal plan, and is a favorite among my nutrition clients because it’s so high in protein, low in carbs and really tasty.
I really love this recipe because it’s so easy to throw together and customize to your own taste. For instance, if you can’t eat nightshades, then substituting the sundried tomatoes for olives could make this nightshade-free! This recipe is also coconut-free and nut-free, which are rarities for vegan low carb and keto breads. For those who don’t eat soy products, there are plenty of soy-free tofu recipes out there (pumpkin or sunflower seed tofu, and hemp tofu to name a couple).
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Pesto Flatbread:
- The flaxseed dough mixture has to rest for at least 5 minutes in order to actually thicken up well enough to make the actual flatbread.
- If you can’t eat flaxseeds, you can use ground chia seeds for the flatbread instead. You may need to add a little more water to get the dough to be spreadable, though!
- For a really quick and easy version, you could just use a store-bought low carb tortilla! Most grocery stores actually carry them now, which is a fun side effect of keto being trendy right now.
- You can find vegan pesto at most health food stores, or make your own by blending fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, nutritional yeast, hempseeds, salt and lemon juice. I have a recipe for this in my cookbook, which is what the nutrition info here is based on. You could also use an olive tapenade, which would be delicious as well!
- If making the faux feta seems a little labor-intensive, just use regular tofu. It still tastes delicious and has a lot of protein!
- If you don’t eat soy, you could use an equivalent amount of soy-free tofu like this “hempfu!” Or sunflower seed or pumpkin seed tofu. Keep in mind that this will change the nutrition info.
- The nutrition information is calculated using the USDA database and Cronometer.com. Your calculations may vary, depending on the brands or varieties used.
If you're looking for a an easy and flavorful, keto dinner option, look no further than these low carb vegan pesto flatbreads!
- 1/4 cup (28g) ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hot water
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp vegan pesto (I'm using the one from my cookbook!)
- 1 tbsp of chopped sun dried tomatoes and/or chopped olives
- 1 serving of faux feta or 1/6 block (~66g) of extra firm tofu
- Cracked black pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Grind flaxseeds in your blender/coffee grinder (you can buy ground, but grinding fresh will help prevent oxidation).
- Add in salt and other spices (garlic powder).
- Slowly stir in the near-boiling water until a dough forms and let sit for at least 5 minutes, up to 10, for a dough to form.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, spread the dough thinly on the parchment paper/silicone mat into your desired flatbread shape.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cooked all the way through. The edges will start to pull away a little, and the flatbread should have a uniform color. If it's still darker in places, cook for another few minutes.
- Spread the pesto on the flatbread, and top with the faux feta, sundried tomatoes, pepper and parsley.