Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
You’ve probably figured out that I’m a huge fan of breakfast foods. There’s just something really satisfying about eating cinnamon rolls and waffles, and pancakes. So delicious! Being vegan and low carb does make it kind of difficult to find a lot of recipes though, especially once the whole gluten free thing is factored in. So, I decided to make myself some low carb vegan protein pancakes, for a protein-filled breakfast/lunch/dinner that also fulfills all of my dietary needs!
These bad boys are grain free, gluten free, nut free, soy free and sugar free. They’re also egg free and dairy free by virtue of being vegan, and are keto friendly to boot! A whole batch is 8g of net carbs, which is totally reasonable.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Protein Pancakes:
- Protein powder choice is going to be important here. I used Vega Sport (in Mocha!), and recommend a similar blend that already has flavor and sweetener added. It’s also important to note that plant based proteins are all super different, so the results are not guaranteed with all brands!
- Psyllium husk acts as the binder here. It’s pretty versatile and I definitely recommend it for all vegan keto cooking and baking needs!
- These really do need to cook for a solid 5 minutes (at least) on each side. Don’t even think about trying to flip them before this! When flipping, gingerly scoot the spatula underneath to make sure the pancake will flip nicely.
- Be sure to get some nice browning on each side – this will help make sure they’re cooked enough, and will make your low carb vegan protein pancakes as tasty as possible!
- I’ll be honest, these aren’t fluffy like carb-heavy traditional pancakes. They’re a bit smooshy in the middle, more like Swedish pancakes. They are, however, really tasty.
- Jazz these bad boys up with some dark chocolate or shredded coconut for an even better nomming experience.
Vegan Keto Protein Pancakes
- 1 scoop 30g protein powder (I used Vega Sport!")
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk soaked in 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Stir in vanilla and coconut oil into soaked psyllium husk and set aside.
- Mix together all dry ingredients
- Heat a nonstick pan (or a regular pan that has been oiled!) to medium heat. I'm obsessed with my Bialetti Aeternum pan, which is ceramic and cooks things perfectly!
- Slowly stir water into the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Add psyllium mixture into protein powder mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Scoop batter onto the hot pan. It's pretty dense, and will need to be spread out a bit into a 1/4" pancake.
- Heat for about 5 minutes, and flip. Cook the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Repeat for all pancakes.