Low Carb Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffins
The weather where I am has been AMAZING this week – clear skies, a chill in the air, and just enough of a breeze that a sweatshirt and flannel pants are the perfect pajamas. So naturally, I took this opportunity to bake me up some muffins. And since it’s officially September, and thus three weeks away from the start of fall, I figured it was acceptable to sneak some pumpkin spice into my day. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for low carb vegan pumpkin spice muffins – they’re sugar free, soy free, nut free, and paleo and keto friendly.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- When I’m feeling lazy and don’t have a pumpkin spice blend on hand, I just use cinnamon instead, subbing in the same amount of pumpkin spice called for – it’s still super tasty this way.
- Remember that when using erythritol (the main ingredient many sugar-free keto sweeteners), that you subtract the total grams of carbs from the sweetener, as it is not digested by either our bodies or our gut bacteria, and is basically completely passed through unchanged (source). This can account for some wonky MyFitnessPal or Cronometer results when entering in low carb recipes!
- Do I recommend using sugar alcohols all the time? Of course not, but moderation, eh?
- If you can’t get a hold of sunflower seed butter, peanut butter or another nut butter will work just fine.
- I used a monkfruit erythritol blend for this, and it worked fabulously. I like my muffins on less of a sweet side, but if you’ve got a huge sweet tooth, you can increase the sweetener to 6-8 tbsp (8 tbsp = 1/2 cup, so doubling what I wrote in the recipe).
- I baked mine for 45 minutes, and they were perfect, but it’s definitely worth checking for “doneness” at 40 minutes, and before taking them out. Stick a sharp knife or a skewer into a muffin, and make sure it comes out totally clean!
- You could definitely make these bigger, but you would have to increase the oven time to compensate!
These low carb vegan pumpkin spice muffins are the perfect keto breakfast for a chill fall day! Gluten free, sugar free, soy free, nut free, dairy free and egg free.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used a salted, unsweetened one)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar-free sweetener
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup flax seed, ground
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder (these are super dense without it)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice mix
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin tray with liners (or use a silicon muffin tray).
- In a mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, sweetener, pumpkin, nondairy milk and flax seed. Stir until thoroughly combined, and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together baking powder, coconut flour and spices.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir until all the coconut flour is completely mixed in. Let sit for a few minutes so the coconut flour absorbs all of the moisture.
- Portion into the wells of the muffin pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!