Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
As you can probably tell from previous posts, I really like creating recipes for breakfast and brunch foods. It’s not that I only eat brunch foods (though I totally could), so much as that there really isn’t a huge selection of low carb vegan breakfast recipes out there at the moment. So, with that (and a serious lox craving) in mind, I set out to make a low carb vegan smoked salmon recipe to really elevate my weekend brunches.
I decided to use carrot lox recipes as a base, because they’re much lower in carbs than tomatoes, which seem to be the other option out there. Carrots are also much more affordable, which is pretty important to me, given that I am not made of money. I made a few more tweaks to some recipes that are out there, and came up with this delicious and easy vegan keto smoked salmon recipe, which are absolutely delicious with some dill cream cheese and thinly sliced red onions.
I’ve deviated from traditional recipes by omitting the brown sugar typically called for, and also using smoked salt instead of liquid smoke. This is mainly because liquid smoke has some less-than-ideal ingredients (like flavorings and caramel color), and also almost always contains molasses. Yes, it’s just a small amount, but still. I’d rather avoid sugar altogether if possible! I also added some oil to this, which was absent from a lot of the recipes out there. I really think the oil is necessary, both for improving the LCHF macros, and also for giving the carrots a creamier, more realistic texture.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Smoked Salmon
- I sliced these with a mandolin slicer, but you could easily use a vegetable peeler – just be sure the slices aren’t too thin, or they’ll overcook and get crispy.
- For the creamcheese, I mixed in a tsp of chopped fresh dill. I strongly recommend this, as it was delicious.
- I served these on top of low carb crispbread, but they’re equally at home on some vegan keto bagels.
- I roasted the carrot strips in the oven for about 35-40 minutes until they were tender, but not yet browning. Be sure to check them often to make sure they don’t overcook!
- I let these cool to room temperature with a lid on top of the pan, so that they would soften a little bit more, and rehydrate. This is definitely recommended!
Low Carb Vegan Smoked Salmon (Lox)
- 100 g carrots about 2 medium/large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp kelp flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
- While the oven is preheating, slice the carrots into thin strips with a mandolin slicer. I cut them in half first, so the pieces weren't too long. Be very careful, and make sure to use the hand guard while slicing!
- Whisk together the oil, tamari, kelp flakes and smoked sea salt. In a mixing bowl, toss the carrot strips together with this mixture and set aside to marinate for a little bit.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- While the oven preheats, occasionally stir the carrots to make sure the marinade is evenly distributed.
- Lay out the carrot strips (they can overlap slighty) in a roasting pan and roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender, but not yet brown. After 25 minutes, be sure to check the carrots often so they do not overcook.
- Remove from the oven and let cook before serving.
3 thoughts on “Low Carb Vegan Smoked Salmon (Lox)”
Is there a recipe for the cream cheese or did you use store bought?
Hi Maria! I used store bought (from Trader Joe’s)