Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Tahini, which is basically the sesame seed version of peanut butter, is absolutely delicious. It’s rich and has a nice depth of flavor that works really well in savory or sweet dishes. Last week, I made low carb halvah cups with this miracle stuff, but this week, I had a cookie craving. I also happened to have another jar of tahini lying around, so I decided to take a stab at making low carb vegan tahini cookies.
This is a great way to use up the other half of that jar of tahini that you’ve had sitting around your pantry forever. The recipe is also great, because in addition to being a low carb vegan treat, it’s also gluten free, soy free and nut free. Really digging allergy-friendly desserts lately. I think these are technically paleo, too, if that’s your bag. If not – it’s a cookie you can still enjoy!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Tahini Cookies:
- I added chocolate to half the batch, because CM basically only eats chocolate-related desserts. This part is totally unnecessary, though, in case you want to minimize the carbs. It does pair nicely with the tahini, though!
- These need the full half hour to chill for a few reasons: they are vegan and use Swerve. Flax eggs bind, but don’t really “set up” in the same way that regular eggs do, so vegan cookies tend to be a bit softer. Similarly, Swerve tends to take a while to set up after baking, so these low carb vegan cookies need way more time than normal to set up. Chilling them in the freezer/fridge does help speed it up, though!
- You could really use any nut butter/seed butter here. It’s a pretty basic recipe that’s easily adjusted.
- Your oven may be different from mine, so check on the cookies at about 10 minutes.
Low Carb Vegan Tahini Cookies
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp of ground flax in about 3 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp Swerve or other granulated sweetener
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract yeah, a lot of vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- OPTIONAL: chocolate discs/chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine flaxseed, cinnamon, vanilla and water and let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in Swerve.
- Stir in cup of tahini and be amazed at how two liquidy things join together to form a solid. I don't understand why this happens - I'm just happy it does.
- Form the dough into 12 little balls and flatten on the cookie tray.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until the edges start to darken a little.
- Let cool for 45 minutes before eating, otherwise these will fall apart!