Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
When I find a recipe that I really like, I tend to make a few different iterations of it. This way, I can still get the same basic nutritional profile of the original recipe, but in a fun new flavor so I don’t get bored. Not being bored is the key to sticking with a way of eating for me. So, after I fell in love with these chocolate peanut butter low carb vegan protein balls, I just knew that I would end up making them with a few different flavor combos.
Mint chocolate has always been one of my favorite flavor combinations, from Thin Mint girlscout cookies to grasshopper pie ice cream to peppermint patties. There really isn’t a mint chocolate food that I didn’t like when I was growing up. Of course eating a vegan keto diet doesn’t really allow for the opportunity to eat any of these foods, so I’m left creating recipes to approximate them. Of course, if you don’t like mint, you can pretty much add any flavoring to this recipe and it will be delicious. I left the title of this as just “vegan keto chocolate protein balls” for this very reason.
This recipe combines one of my favorite flavor combos with my constant desire for some sort of vegan keto protein bar to come up with a quick and easy way to get some extra protein in your day that is vegan, low carb, soy free, nut free and really, really tasty. These are also incredibly easy to make, which is important to me, because I really dislike making complicated recipes.
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Chocolate Protein Balls
- If you don’t like mint chocolate, and would like to substitute the mint, you absolutely can. Pretty much any extract will do. Orange, almond, hazelnut, coffee – all of these subbed in for the mint will make for a DELICIOUS little protein ball.
- I like to add a 1/2 tsp of mint and a 1/2 tsp of vanilla for a slightly milder taste, but if you want the mint to punch you in the mouth, then go ahead and add the full tsp! Measurement amounts also depend on the strength and quality of your extracts.
- To simplify this recipe, I just recommend going with a full cup of coconut manna/butter/creamed coconut (it seriously goes by all of those names), but if you want these to be a bit softer, you can sub out half of it for vegan cream cheese.
Vegan Keto Chocolate Protein Balls
- 1 cup coconut manna/butter/creamed coconut
- 2 scoops ~90g Vega Sport Chocolate Protein
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp mint extract or whatever extract you want!
- 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder optional
- Melt the coconut manna in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in extracts and stir completely.
- Stir in flax seed and protein powder and knead until a dough forms.
- Form into 24 balls (try to get them to be the same size), and chill for about 10-15 minutes.
- If you'd like, roll the chilled balls in cocoa powder to add some extra chocolate flavor.2