Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to write up this recipe! If you’ve been in the keto/low carb community for a while now, you’re probably familiar with the term “crack slaw.” Basically, crack slaw is a cooked cabbage slaw, flavored with sriracha and soy sauce/tamari. The original is apparently called “crack slaw” because it’s so addictive. I haven’t tried the original, but I definitely feel that way about this version! I’ve been known to eat the entire batch of this vegan keto crack slaw in one sitting, and still wish there was more. There’s just something about the savory and spicy flavors that’s really appealing.
I usually garnish this with hemp seeds, for a little extra protein, and eat it straight from the pan. It’s not often you find such a delicious low carb, sugar free, gluten free vegan recipe that can work as a main dish or a side! I’d love to know if you try this, so let me know in the comments, or tag me on social media!
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Crackslaw
- If you’re more concerned about budget, and less concerned about carbs, cashews are a good substitute for the macadamias. I
- If you make this ahead and chill it overnight, the macadamia nuts soak up the flavors and become softer.
- No, this doesn’t taste exactly like the beef version, but it sure is satisfying!
- If you’re concerned about heating sesame oil, you can omit it during the cooking process, and then add it in once everything is finished.
- Sometimes I get super lazy, and just use 1/4 tsp garlic powder instead of 2 cloves.
- Tamari is a gluten free version of soy sauce, but you could easily use regular soy sauce, or even liquid aminos.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, hemp seeds, green onion and whatever else strikes your fancy!
- For shredding cabbage, a mandolin slicer is a girl’s best friend.
Vegan Keto Crack Slaw
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 1 tsp chili paste kimchi paste (make sure it's vegan!), or sriracha
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- sesame seeds and green onion to garnish if desired
- Toss cabbage in a pan with the tamari, vinegar, sesame oil and chili paste/kimchi paste/sriracha on medium low heat.
- Add in minced garlic.
- Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes, until the cabbage starts to soften.
- Stir everything in the pan so that it is thoroughly combined. Add in nuts.
- Cook for another 5 or so minutes, until the nuts soften from absorbing some of the extra liquid in the pan.
- Serve, garnish and enjoy!