I’ve been a bit hesitant to post a recipe for flax crackers because it’s they’re pretty simple, but after publishing an article on balancing omega-3 fatty acids on a vegan keto diet the other day, I’ve actually gotten a few requests to do so. This site is 50% recipes I decided to come up with on a whim, and 50% recipes you guys request that I make, so here we are with a recipe for vegan keto flax crackers.
Flax crackers are not only a great, low carb (like, super low carb) alternative to regular crackers, but they also fill that need for chips. Basically, whenever you want something kind of salty and crunchy that is otherwise difficult to approximate on a vegan keto or low carb vegan diet. They’re also easily adaptable to many different flavor profiles (basically all flavor profiles), as well as nut free and soy free.
While the ingredients list is simple, there are actually a few things of note about making this recipe, so I strongly suggest reading the “notes” section below, as it will make your life so much easier!
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Flax Crackers
- Measuring flax by volume is great, but you’ll get better results by using a kitchen scale, as flax seeds tend to change in volume when you grind them, and this can get confusing.
- The dough that forms will be dense and a little sticky, and is a huge pain to spread out. Sorry. 🙁
- I find that using a silicon baking mat is the easiest way to make sure these spread evenly, cook evenly, and can be removed from the pan easily. Parchment paper works, too but is way more difficult to spread this dough on.
- These need to be scored before going into the oven so that you can break them apart easier. I also find this helps them cook more evenly.
- I added 2 tsp of curry powder to these, and now my entire kitchen smells incredible. I would strongly suggest doing the same.
- 1 tsp of garlic powder, and 1 tsp of cayenne would also be delicious.
- Basically, any combo of spices will work for this (or you could just eat them plain!)
- Yes, that is pesto in the picture. I love pesto.
These vegan keto flax crackers are super low carb and high in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and protein. They're the perfect snack for when you want something crunchy.
- 1.5 cups (around ~250g) of flax seeds, ground (note, this is about 2 cups after grinding!)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- desired seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 350F, and prep your pan with a silicon baking mat.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine ground flax seeds, salt and whatever seasoning you'd like.
- Stir in water, and let sit for about 5 minutes. This should allow enough time for the water to be absorbed, and the flax to thicken into a dough.
- Spread the dough out on your prepared pan evenly at a thickness of about 1/8 of an inch. It's important that the dough is even so that it cooks all the way through.
- Score into however many little pieces you want, being careful not to damage the mat or parchment.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, though check at 45 to see how things are going. You may need an additional 5 or so minutes, depending on the thickness, how many lines you scored, and how evenly your oven bakes, among other things.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and break into pieces. Make sure the pieces have cooled completely before storing them, or else too much humidity will get into the container. These should keep for a week on the counter (realistically more, but I like being cautious).