Vegan Keto Sugar Cookies (gluten free, nut free)
Roll out sugar cookies are a holiday standard, so when trying to figure out what to bake this weekend, there wasn’t even a question. I dug out my reindeer cookie cutter, and set to work on making vegan keto sugar cookies. These bad boys are super simple, require only 4 ingredients, and are extra adorable. Plus, they’re gluten free, grain free and nut free. What’s not to love?
I didn’t bother frosting these, because frosting is just added carbs, and I honestly didn’t think they needed it. You could decorate with a keto frosting, chocolate, or selective decorative sugar (but obviously limit that!). If you end up making these, I’d looove to see pictures, so be sure to tag me on Instagram!
Notes on Baking Vegan Keto Sugar Cookies:
- Letting the dough rest for a few minutes before rolling it out will allow the coconut flour to absorb the moisture from the cream cheese, making the whole process of cutting out cookies a lot easier.
- More intricate designs will be more difficult to cut out, so I’d recommend simpler cookie cutter shapes if you aren’t a cookie pro. There were a lot of broken reindeer in the making of this recipe!
- I only used 1/4 cup of Swerve, but if you like things on the sweeter side, you could increase this to 6 tablespoons.
- I really like the combination of almond extract and vanilla extract, but you could easily just go with vanilla, and these will taste awesome.
- Be sure to roll out the dough evenly, or you will have parts of the cookie that cook well, and then parts that burn. 🙁
- Seriously, let these cool or they will fall apart!
- Silicone baking mats really make this process a million times easier.
- If you aren’t vegan, you can easily just use regular cream cheese, or a 50/50 blend of cream cheese and butter.
- 8 ounces (225g) vegan cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (84g) coconut flour
- 4-5 tbsp (48 - 60g)Lakanto sweetener, or other granulated sweetener (depending on how sweet you like things)
- 1 tsp each vanilla and almond extracts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together sugar, cream cheese and extracts.
- Mix in coconut flour until everything forms a pretty stiff dough.
- Roll out dough on a silicone baking mat (I used wax paper on top of the dough as well), and cut into shapes with adorable or festive (or both!) cookie cutters. If the dough is too sticky, try chilling it for about 5-10 minutes so it hardens up again. You can also sprinkle the surface of the dough very lightly with more coconut flour.
- Line up on a cookie tray, and bake for about 20 minutes, until the edges are golden.
- Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes, so the cookies set up and don't crumble, and enjoy!