Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
I’ve been running an experiment lately to see if it’s possible to do a raw version of a vegan keto diet. I don’t normally eat raw by any means (as you probably know if you’ve ever even glanced at my Instagram account), but I’ve gotten a few requests for meal plans for raw vegans looking to switch from a high carb, to a low carb way of eating. So, I thought I’d share some of my favorite low carb raw vegan recipes!
These low carb collar wraps are pretty simple, but surprisingly tasty. The combination of the carrots, sauerkraut and tahini sauce is pretty magical. Not only are you getting some protein and good fats from the tahini, but the sauerkraut provides some probiotics to help maintain microiome balance! This recipe is full of veggies, and is also paleo and whole 30 compliant, which is pretty neat.
Notes on Making Raw Vegan Low Carb Collard Wraps:
- Buy the whole collard leaves, and them remove the stem. This step is crucial if you at all want to be able to fold the leaves at all. I tried just shaving down the stem to keep the leaf more intact, and this did not work at all!
- If you don’t like carrots, you absolutely don’t have to use them here. Peppers, cabbage, broccoli slaw (you know, the matchstick-sized pieces of broccoli), beets and radishes all taste delicious here.
- I make the sauce with raw sesame seeds in my blender in a large batch (it makes about 2 cups!), but you can just make an individual portion. I end up using about 2 tbsp of sauce per wrap.
- Quick sauce recipe: 1 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1-2 tsp water – garlic powder and salt to taste. Whisk everything together, adding the water 1 tsp at a time until the desired consistancy is reached.
- Bulk sauce recipe: 1 cup whole sesame seeds, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp salt. Blend everything until smooth.
- Also, I am kind of obsessed with this sauce/dressing and tend to use it on anything.
These refreshing (and nutrient-packed) collard wraps are a perfect low carb, raw vegan lunch.
- 1/4 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tbsp sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp tahini sauce (recipe above in notes)
- This is super simple. Basically, you need to de-vein the leaves (after washing them!), and then add in the carrots and sauerkraut, and wrap or fold however works best for you. You can either pour the sauce directly on, or use it as a dip!