Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
It has been freezing in my apartment lately, and all I’ve wanted is to eat rich, warm soup. Usually, my go-to low carb vegan soup is my faux-tato leek soup, but I had approximately zero leeks in my house and somehow even less desire to go out to the store. So, I decided to make a low carb vegan creamy broccoli soup. Who doesn’t love a good broccoli soup? Typically you see more broccoli cheddar type soup recipes out there, but in the interest of keeping this keto-friendly, I opted to leave out any dairy free cheddar substitutes and just make a tasty soup that can hold its own. No cheesy crutches here!
In addition to being vegan, and thus dairy free, this soup is also sugar free, soy free, gluten free and paleo! It’s also AIP friendly, which is pretty awesome, as auto-immune recipes are kind of hard to come by!
Notes on Making Vegan Low Carb Creamy Broccoli Soup
- You will note that this recipe calls for celery… do not panic. The end result doesn’t at all have a celery taste!
- If you’re somehow morally opposed to celery (I get it), you could definitely use a similar amount of cauliflower in its place, though it will add another gram of carbs per serving. Also, this is really not that many extra carbs.
- The coconut cream doesn’t impart too heavy a coconut taste to this dish! I used the Trader Joe’s, full-fat canned version.
- If you are allergic to coconut, or just really don’t like it, you could soak a cup of cashews in a cup of hot water, blend it to oblivion, and use it in place of the coconut milk. This will be higher in carbs, but will taste rich, delicious and nuttier than the coconut.
- I blended this in my Vitamix, but you could also use an immersion blender
- This entire recipe cost under $7 to make, which isn’t too bad at all. Prices are based on my shopping trip to my local Trader Joe’s. I live in New England, and it’s winter, so everything is pretty expensive. If you live anywhere slightly warmer, this could be even less expensive for you!
- 1 can, full-fat coconut milk (about 1.5 cups)
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Add everything to a pot on medium heat (minus salt and pepper). Cook for about a half hour, until the celery and broccoli are soft.
- Carefully transfer the soup to your heat-safe blender, and process until it reaches the smoothness desired. You could also use an immersion blender!
- Now, you eat! Seriously, it's that easy. 🙂
A delicious creamy, low carb vegan broccoli soup that's soy free, dairy free and super easy to make!