Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Every once in a while you just get a craving, and for some reason, today I got one for sausage – Italian sausage, to be more precise. Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a store near me (or even far from me, really) that sells gluten free vegan sausage. Literally every single vegan sausage I’ve found is basically made entirely out of gluten, with a little soy mixed in for good measure. As someone with Celiac, that wasn’t going to work. So, this morning, I set out to make my own low carb vegan sausage that’s both gluten free and soy free. Not gonna lie, it’s super easy and really tasty.
This recipe really only calls for two ingredients, and then a spice mix. It’s about three minutes worth of prep work before cooking. Seriously, so easy.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Sausage Patties
- I used an Italian sausage spice blend made from this recipe, but you could really use any sausage spice blend your heart desires.
- Yes, chickpeas are a little higher in carbs, but they’re totally worth it for the texture and taste of this recipe. You could also use pretty much any white bean. Just be sure the bean isn’t too high in carbs, and doesn’t have too strong a flavor. I find black beans just always taste like black beans, for instance.
- I pan fried these patties, but you could bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350, making sure to flip halfway through.
- Making these into sausage patties is not a necessary step, but I felt like it. You could just sautee this all scrambled up in a pan. It’ll still taste awesome.
- If you do make this mixture into patties, they will need to be flipped verry carefully, or they will fall apart! The smoother your mixture is, the better these will hold together as well. Though, you do want some small chunks and bits for texture.
Low Carb Vegan Sausage Patties
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1.5 tbsp sausage spice blend of choice I used this Italian spice blend
- Process nuts and chickpeas in a food processor or blender until a chunky sort of paste forms. Yeah, I know - super appetizing terminology.
- Plop the mixture into a mixing bowl, and thoroughly stir in spices.
- Cover and let this sit in the fridge for a bit, so the flavors mix together. I recommend a half hour.
- Heat a bit of olive or coconut oil in a pan on the stove, on medium heat (though, on the lower end of medium).
- Form patties (really pack those things tight), and heat for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully (!!!) flip and heat for anotehr 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the pan and enjoy!