Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
One of the questions I find in my inbox a lot is, “what do you eat when you’re sick?” My answer is usually just long the lines of “whatever I can manage,” but I thought I’d actually post one of my go-to soup recipes for when I’m feeling sick, so that maybe it can help a few of you out! This vegan keto tofu noodle soup recipe is for the instant pot, but you can make it on the stove top as well. I just like the instant pot for recipes when I’m under the weather, as it lets me cook without actually having to babysit the food.
This recipe is super (soup-er, eh?) simple to make, and is really filling. It’s also made with really basic ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge:
- vegetable broth
- shirataki noodles
- olive oil
- ginger, garlic and some herbs
As you may have guessed, this recipe is pretty mutable. Because this is a “when I’m sick” recipe, it’s not really something I plan for. Similarly, if I don’t have a particular ingredient, I’m not going to go to the store to get something…I’m just going substitute it with something I do have on hand. Usually, I have fresh parsley and scallions on hand, as well as freeze-dried poultry spice mix, so this list is what goes into this soup most often. But, you can use whatever you have in the fridge! Some other suggestions for vegetables you could substitute in are:
- zucchini or summer squash
- winter squash
- celery root
- spinach, kale or other greens
As for vegetable broth, I tend to use Better Than Bouillon, instead of an actual pre-packaged broth. I find that I never use the full amount of broth that’s in the container, and always end up having leftovers that sit around my fridge forever, so making broth from the Better Than Bouillon works better for me.
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Tofu Noodle Soup (gluten-free, instant pot version)
- Like I mentioned above, instead of just using straight vegetable broth, I tend to make the broth as I go with Better Than Bouillon. It’s just easier.
- I like to use sprouted tofu, because it’s much easier on my digestion. It also happens to be lower in carbs. The one I used here is from a company called Wildwood, but I know Trader Joe’s makes one as well!
- If you don’t want to make this in an instant pot, you can just add everything to a lidded pan and cook for 20-25 minutes, covered, until the vegetables are tender.
- Like I mentioned above, you can really substitute the vegetables for any others you may have in your fridge. This is just what I tend to go with, because I always have those veggies on hand.
- To season this, I used 1 tbsp of poultry seasoning and garnished with fresh parsley and scallions, but you could use whatever you like best.
- While I strive to provide accurate nutritional information, various brands and types of ingredients may have differing nutritional values. So, your calculations may vary.