Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
I’ve been trying to get away from buying protein bars because they’re so expensive, and the number of low carb vegan protein bars on the market is woefully small. In fact, there’s only one store anywhere near me that sells a vegan protein bar that would be keto compliant, and I swear they’ve had the exact same box on the shelf for the past six months.
I’m so excited about these because they’re not only keto friendly, they’re high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as medium chain triglycerides and protein. They’re the perfect way to break your fast, and stay full all day without cravings or hunger pangs. Seriously, they’re so filling!
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Protein Balls:
- To get these as even as possible (no, I don’t weigh them because I don’t have the patience for that), I divide the dough into five equal sections, and then in half again, and then form the little balls.
- These are really dense and filling, and 1-2 servings (depending on your appetite and protein needs) will totally get you through the day from breakfast to workouts to whatever else you’re doing!
- Like I said, these are dense and filling, and are best enjoyed with tea, coffee or your favorite dairy-free milk.
- If you don’t like coconut, you can easily subsitute in 1 cup of chopped nuts or seeds. You can also increase the flax seed to 1/2 cup instead and add in some chopped up sugar free chocolate.
- If you’re feeling super fancy, you can melt some sugar free chocolate with coconut oil and dip each protein ball to cover, and then chill.
- For protein powder, I used three scoops of Vega Essentials – if you don’t have this particular brand, you can use another chocolate vegan protein powder. Just be sure to measure out around 110g. Check the serving size on the other protein to be sure!
These low carb vegan protein balls are gluten free, soy free and full of protein, omega-3s and fiber for energy throughout your workouts and the rest of your day!
- 1 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 3 scoops (~110g) Vega Essentials chocolate vegan protein powder
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup unsweetened, dried coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix completely. If the mixture is too smushy to form into balls, chill for 30-60 minutes until you can properly form them. Mold into 30 little balls and store in the fridge for up to a week.