Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
I think it’s safe to say that pie is the best dessert out there (don’t even try to argue that – I won’t hear it). I’m also a big fan of bars that use pie crust as a base, like these vegan keto lemon bars. In order to make delicious vegan keto pie crust based treats, it seemed necessary to create a good crust recipe. I decided to try and make these slightly shortbread-like, giving the world a vegan keto pie crust recipe that’s perfect as a base for bars, or as an actual pie crust!
Oh, and did I mention that this crust recipe is not only vegan, low carb, sugar free and grain free, but is also soy free and nut free? It’s definitely allergy friendly, and still so delicious!
Notes on Baking Vegan Keto Shortbread Pie Crust
- Similar to the above note, if you’d like to use this crust for something savory, like a quiche or a tomato and “cheese” tart (and if you make that, please invite me to dinner), omit the sweetener, add a 1/2 tsp of salt, and maybe even a little bit of ground black pepper.
- This recipe uses two flax eggs, which are made by stirring 2 tbsp of flax seeds in 1/2 cup of water, and letting it sit for a few minutes to gel together.
- If you don’t have ground flaxseeds, you could use chia instead.
- This crust is made super tasty with the addition of a tsp of vanilla extract and a tsp of cinnamon.
- The recipe turns out fluffier than a traditional crust, and less flaky. It’s still delicious, but it’s nice to know what to expect out of a recipe ahead of time.
- “Docking” the crust means making those little holes so that steam can escape, and the crust cooks more evenly.
This awesome low carb pie crust recipe is super easy to make, and is soy free, nut free and totally vegan!
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds in 1/2 cup water)
- 1 tbsp Swerve, or other granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine coconut oil, flax eggs and optional ingredients (if using) until pretty well mixed.
- Stir in coconut flour and mix until everything forms a stiff dough, and is well combined. Some small bits of unmixed coconut oil are fine, but be careful of clumps that are too big!
- Press dough into the pan and dock the crust. If using it as a pie crust, simply bake for as long as the pie recipe requires (typically around 45 minutes, with the filling inside).
- If baking the crust alone, 20-25 minutes should be plenty!
Calories are for 1/8th of crust, obviously the numbers will be different if you portion the crust into more or less than 8 servings! 🙂