Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder – some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don’t promote products I haven’t actually tried or products that I don’t trust. 🙂
Clearly, there’s something seriously wrong with me, because it’s 10 degrees (Fahrenheit!) outside right now, and yet here I am, making ice cream. But this isn’t just any ice cream – it’s a low carb vegan ice cream! Most recipes I see for vegan ice cream involve a banana, and a lot of suspended disbelief. I think there’s a time and a place for that sort of thing, but it’s not here. So, when an ice cream craving hit, I did a little experimenting, and came up with this recipe!
Okay, so, it was a lot of experimenting… and somehow even more failure. Most recipes I tried ended up being really icey and flavorless. Long story short, I realized that just coconut milk wasn’t going to be enough to make this creamy, so I borrowed a tip from my cashew yogurt recipe, and used glucomannan powder. And, it was a sucess! This ice cream is smooth, and rich tasting, and definitely hit the spot. I am seriously beyond excited at how this vegan keto ice cream turned out…and it only has 3g of net carbs per serving! I’m pretty amazed by this part, as the only sugar free coconut milk ice cream I’ve found in stores has at least 10g of carbs per serving.
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Strawberry Ice Cream:
- This recipe uses glucomannan powder, which is the starch from a tuber with some pretty exciting weight loss and health benefits.
- Making this recipe costs about $2.50 total, in comparison to the $5-6 for sugar free vegan ice cream in stores!
- You can use whatever frozen fruit you’d like for this – I just wanted strawberry.
- This ice cream tastes awesome with either chocolate sauce or peanut butter drizzled on top!
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the blended mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze. Then blend the ice cubes like you were making a smoothie. You can keep 1/2 cup of the mixture unfrozen to help with blending!
Vegan Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp glucomannan powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- stevia to taste (I find liquid stevia drops mix in best here)
- Add 1 cup of water and the tsp of glucomannan powder to a small saucepan, and stir until dissolved. Heat on medium heat until a thick gel forms. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- In a blender, combine vanilla, stevia, coconut milk, strawberries and the gel mixture, and blend. How long is a matter of personal preference - the longer you blend, the more pulverized the strawberries will be.
- Chill the mixture for at least an hour, and pour into your ice cream maker. If you don't have an ice cream maker, be sure to check out the work-around above!